Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VZfit - Oculus Go vs Quest - any graphical differences?
(03-26-2019, 05:10 AM)edmg Wrote: BTW, I just played Le Tour on my Go for the first time, which is the Virzoom game I played most on the PC. The graphics have been cut down a fair amount compared to the PC version, but it's still recognizably the same course. The most obvious difference is that the trees are not much more than green blobs or cones in the Go version, whereas the PC had fairly detailed branches on them.

So it's more cartoony, but otherwise the same game.

Compared to the PC version, does leaning to turn feel much different on the Go?  I mostly play the two bike levels (Le Tour and Cali) and Gem Hunt.
(03-26-2019, 05:10 AM)edmg Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 10:28 PM)digitaljackson Wrote: Also, in general, does the VZfit version have graphics scaled down compared to the PC/Steam version?

BTW, I just played Le Tour on my Go for the first time, which is the Virzoom game I played most on the PC. The graphics have been cut down a fair amount compared to the PC version, but it's still recognizably the same course. The most obvious difference is that the trees are not much more than green blobs or cones in the Go version, whereas the PC had fairly detailed branches on them.

That's right. The three areas I had to optimize most were fill-rate (overlapping transparent polygons, ie, trees), shader complexity (how detailed surfaces look when lit), and number of polygons. The terrain meshes are drastically poly reduced, the trees are rendered as solid objects rather than clip-mapped. These necessary optimizations sort of impose a more cartoony style on the game which I tried to embrace a bit by using brighter colors and a more graphic texture style. These same issues explain why there are no trees in the Pegasus Valley (although I have ambitions to add cartoony trees back in at some point), and why the kayak game hasn't been brought to the Oculus Go yet. Between the water shader, the day-night cycle, and the dense tree coverage the kayak level is a real challenge to port. We still intend to do so, but we might have to use a new concept for the location...
(03-26-2019, 03:12 PM)digitaljackson Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 05:10 AM)edmg Wrote: BTW, I just played Le Tour on my Go for the first time, which is the Virzoom game I played most on the PC. The graphics have been cut down a fair amount compared to the PC version, but it's still recognizably the same course. The most obvious difference is that the trees are not much more than green blobs or cones in the Go version, whereas the PC had fairly detailed branches on them.

Compared to the PC version, does leaning to turn feel much different on the Go?  I mostly play the two bike levels (Le Tour and Cali) and Gem Hunt.

I tuned it to feel the same if you lean with a stiff neck, which most people do rather than keep their head completely upright.  It can feel different if you don't lean and just tilt your head, but that seems fine for many people too. The only thing is you can't tilt your head without steering on the Go.
I lean and it feels pretty much the same as the PC, even though you really only need to tilt your head. I haven't had any trouble steering that way so far.