Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VZfit - Oculus Go vs Quest - any graphical differences?
Is there any graphical difference between the Go and Quest versions of VZfit and Explorer?  
If I remember correctly, the PSVR version of the VirZoom bike app had some graphic details removed to compensate for the less powerful headset... wondering if same approach is taken here for GO vs Quest.
Also, in general, does the VZfit version have graphics scaled down compared to the PC/Steam version?
Great questions!

The games now in VZfit Play are definitely optimized with respect to PSVR--the Go has about 1/3 the power and same 60 fps game framerate.  We were able to preserve all gameplay but had to cut back on level detail, and in some cases make fewer AI more aggressive.  

The good news is the Go offers a little performance bump compared to the original Daydream and GearVR headsets we targeted for mobile VR, so we've been able to readd some details compared to them.  The Quest has about 30% more power than the Go, of which we are devoting 20% to a higher 72 fps game framerate.  With the performance left we are planning to put back more detail and AI before Quest launches.

For new game levels we'll be treating the Go & Quest as our target platforms, and it greatly matters when you target something rather than optimize for it.  For instance, our Thunderbowl level was designed for mobile VR and it's pretty indistinguishable from the PC/PSVR version you've seen.

VZfit Explorer will probably be identical except for 60/72 fps framerate between Go/Quest, as there are fewer graphical benefits we could give the Quest--the scenes are photo-based and we're already rendering with maximum AA and filtering.  Maybe more AI and multiplayer characters will have higher detail on Quest.

We don't have a lot of footage yet of our games on Go & Quest, but we're planning to live stream them all to Facebook when Sensor officially launches on Monday, so you'll get a good look then!
Thanks for the quick response! I had no idea the Daydream was a supported platform for the bike app. My son has a Daydream, so if I try that out it will give me a good idea of graphics fidelity of VZfit on the Go vs what I've been using on Steam/PC?
It will give some idea yes.  We've made it look a bit better, but what's really nice about the Go compared to Daydream is its optics and built-in stereo sound.  The Go is higher res, brighter and sharper with more comfortable FOV.  And the sound is amazing, like listening to headphones.  Being built solely for VR with a customized OS to match also just makes it easier and quicker to use.

There's also more to recommend the Quest than horsepower.  The Go is a great headset for the price, but the Quest gives you the same head tracking as PSVR/PC without any of the setup requirements.  The parallax from head position tracking makes all VR more immersive and comfortable, and it enables lean control in VirZOOM which can feel more natural than tilt control.  So might be worth the extra $200!
If you're trying to make the decision between one device and the other, I'd say to base it on what sort of VR apps you're interested in beyond VZFit.

If you're interested in playing the most awesome and physically-involved VR games, that make the most out of positional tracking, hand controls, and large play-spaces, you'll have go for the Quest! I suspect it would also be good for art applications, but I don't know yet which ones will be available for it.

The Go does have some fun games, too (usually simpler things, since it has only rotational tracking but no positional) but it's more of a sit-down device and its main purpose is to use as a Personal Theater System. I'd say 90% of what I use mine for is just Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. (Virtual theaters are cheaper than putting a huge flatscreen TV in my physical living space!) Also the best way, bar none, to watch 3D movies. Of course all of this applies to the Quest, too, but if you're strapped for cash the $200 (and immediate availability) might affect your decision.
I'm very impressed with the Go. I'd expected to only use it for Netflix and movies, but even a lot of shooter games work well on it. You obviously can't aim with your hand like Vive wands or Oculus Touch controllers, but the Go controller still has enough tracking capability to be able to use it like a mouse to move the aim position in the game.

I will be replacing it with a Quest, though, just to get that extra positional tracking. But out of my Rift, Vive and Go, it's the most comfortable, most convenient and, in most respects, has the best lenses and screens; that said, I believe my head matches the default IPD for the screens, so others might disagree.
(03-23-2019, 12:30 AM)emalafeew Wrote: There's also more to recommend the Quest than horsepower.  The Go is a great headset for the price, but the Quest gives you the same head tracking as PSVR/PC without any of the setup requirements.  The parallax from head position tracking makes all VR more immersive and comfortable, and it enables lean control in VirZOOM which can feel more natural than tilt control.  So might be worth the extra $200!

I wasn't considering tracking differences between the two, thanks for the extra info.  I would like tracking similar to what I'm already used to on the PC, but I've already spent so much on my Vive Pro with wireless module... really hurts to spend $400 for another device.  Hmmm, decisions....
I will probably wait for the quest. I have the HTC vive and the Thing i hate most about it, is setting up the tracking base stations. HTC Vive Cosmos is planing on being released and that will allow stand alone gaming, or gaming from any device which seems very promising, no base stations too. :Big Grin there will be no integration  with HTC vive cosmos correct?
(03-22-2019, 10:28 PM)digitaljackson Wrote: Also, in general, does the VZfit version have graphics scaled down compared to the PC/Steam version?

BTW, I just played Le Tour on my Go for the first time, which is the Virzoom game I played most on the PC. The graphics have been cut down a fair amount compared to the PC version, but it's still recognizably the same course. The most obvious difference is that the trees are not much more than green blobs or cones in the Go version, whereas the PC had fairly detailed branches on them.

So it's more cartoony, but otherwise the same game.
(03-26-2019, 12:37 AM)Juicylips Wrote: I will probably wait for the quest. I have the HTC vive and the Thing i hate most about it, is setting up the tracking base stations. HTC Vive Cosmos is planing on being released and that will allow stand alone gaming, or gaming from any device which seems very promising, no base stations too. :Big Grin there will be no integration  with HTC vive cosmos correct?

Hey Juicylips, sorry no current plans to support Vive Cosmos with VZfit Play and Explorer.  But anyone is welcome to build something for the Cosmos with our SDK!