Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VZfit Explorer Feedback
I'm on the 6/18 build and running on Quest.  Before work, started the "Arches, Utah" ride for just over 30 minutes and 69% complete. I had to jump on a conference call, so could not finish in the initial session. I jumped to the main menu before taking off my Quest. It goes to sleep after 15-seconds of no detected movement.  

Six hours later, I pick up the Quest to finish the ride over lunch.  The game picks up where I left off as far as completion, 69%. But as far as time, instead of 30 minutes, it shows 106 minutes have gone by.  In addition, I can only spin a few feet forward before the entire view view dissolves into a psychedelic mess, reminiscent of Dave Bowman's last ride in 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I went back to the menu and choose "Recent Rides" and again picked "Arches, Utah".  Same as before, 69% Completion, 106 minutes  and landscape dissolves soon after pedaling.  I repeated this once more, same result.  Frustrated, I exited the game via the Oculus button and restarted the game.  

After game restore I again choose "Recent Rides" I pick "Arches, Utah".  It starts almost fine.  Spins are now zero, Elapsed Time is zero, which I guess is fine, but Completion is 42%!  Huh I was able to complete the ride, but was restarting considerably back from where I initially left off. There's no detailed ride stats on VZfit Explorer rides, only a rank, but I bet mine is poor. 

Guess that's why it's a beta!  Big Grin
Thanks for the report, here's what we can do:

- We will pause the game timer when the headset is off, so it wouldn't have counted up to 106 minutes.

- Spins and time are for your game session, across all rides. They aren't the number of spins and time you've spent on that ride, which sounds like what you expected. That may be better, though some will argue they want to see their session totals.

- I hear you about the psychedelics, Dave. That happens when the game can't load new white dots, which correspond to new images. Restarting the game can fix these, and we tried to address it in our last build but seems like it didn't fully work.

- When you left the game, your 69% completion and location should've been saved to our server. It is backed up locally, but that is overwritten if you can read from our server on restart. So you might have a condition where you could read your profile but not write it. I can look into that, and the game needs to note if you couldn't successfully write to use the backup next time.

Just finishing a ride is an accomplishment, we don't rank you by time. Trying to finish them all is the goal, and if you like a particular one, ride it more than once to go up in its leaderboard!
Thanks for the feedback.

I wasn't sure what the expectations were for the spin counter/time. On the same day, I've seen it increment from the previous session as well as start over from zero. I wasn't sure on what I should be expecting to see as I've seen both behaviors, but also across a couple of releases.

As for ranking, that's good to know. Honestly, I'm not really concerned about rank here. I was just curious what it was based on. it's nice just to enjoy rides I wouldn't normally be able to do.
(06-19-2019, 09:35 PM)Officespaced Wrote: Thanks for the feedback.  

I wasn't sure what the expectations were for the spin counter/time.  On the same day, I've seen it increment from the previous session as well as start over from zero.  I wasn't sure on what I should be expecting to see as I've seen both behaviors, but also across a couple of releases.

As for ranking, that's good to know. Honestly, I'm not really concerned about rank here. I was just curious what it was based on.  it's nice just to enjoy rides I wouldn't normally be able to do.

Smile

The spins & time are reset when you restart the game, but not when you pause and come back to it.  It's been that way in all the releases, but does raise the question "what is a session?"  We will freeze them when paused, but maybe should also reset them if paused longer than 30 minutes?

Note that VZfit Play ends its sessions after 5 minutes of inactivity (pedaling or head motion), sending you back to the Setup screen. Maybe VZfit Explorer should do that too
More Feedback..

As mentioned yesterday, I split the "Arches, Utah" ride across morning/afternoon sessions, with finishing in the afternoon. I completely exited the app and used the PlutoTV app last night.  

Today when launching VZfit Explorer, I'm automatically taken to the "Arches, Utah" ride with 42% Completion.  As I mentioned, I had already completed that ride yesterday afternoon.  

I went ahead and completed this ride, although the stopping point was quite a bit different than yesterday.  On the Stats page, I'm showing 2 rides completed for "Arches, Utah", when it's really about 1.5.
Yup, there's clearly an issue with logging your progress % on our servers, though that is separate from our logging your actual ride spins and completion. I'm still looking into it, sorry for the trouble!

UPDATE: It seems to have worked for you recently since it now shows "100%" for Arches. I've made the fix locally that will prevent future such problems for you, but am working on one more thing for the Explorer build before I put it out again.
(06-20-2019, 09:01 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Yup, there's clearly an issue with logging your progress % on our servers, though that is separate from our logging your actual ride spins and completion.  I'm still looking into it, sorry for the trouble!

UPDATE: It seems to have worked for you recently since it now shows "100%" for Arches.  I've made the fix locally that will prevent future such problems for you, but am working on one more thing for the Explorer build before I put it out again.

Thanks!  A couple of more things:

On twisty rides, the White Dots seem to lead you astray.  Specifically, I'm playing the "Westfjords, Iceland" ride. On tight curves, the Dots seem to go off the trail, rather than follow the curve.  If you follow the Dots, you keep getting set back a few feet as to say "try again". To remedy, I've learned that you need to go a bit left/right of the Dots, depending on the curve, otherwise, it balks. 

The chain ring sounds add an element of realism, but why do they often fade to zero?  At first, I thought it was my fault, as I often add external background music.  However, the last couple of rides, I didn't play anything in the background (external device),  and was just using the Quest's audio.  Chain ring sounds seem to fade in/out, but not in any particular pattern, and yet I'm pedaling steadily away. 
We've released a VZfit Explorer update with fixes for HUD time, backup progress storage, retrying white dots that don't load, chain ring sound, and another one you didn't mention--recentering that also puts you back on the road going in the right direction.

When the dots don't follow the road it's due to image metadata we don't control. We try to suggest routes with good metadata for most of the images, but sometimes they are off. We're considering into ways to fix inaccurate dot and morphing data so might have something in the future.
I'm running the 6/21 build on Quest. I started a ride this morning. At 63% in I moved my headset to the top of my head to wipe my brow. At best, perhaps 3-5 seconds pause, before placing the headset back, as designed. At this point, I have no forward momentum in the ride and no dots. My spins continue to increment as well as time.

I then went to the main menu, followed by "Recent". My ride is listed there, but Progress shows "0%". I choose it anyway and again, no forward momentum. Ironically, earlier during mid-game, around the 20% mark, I had looked at Recent Rides and it did display the current progression percentage.

I ended up going to "Find a Ride", choosing the same ride and starting over. Looking at the stats page, It doesn't appear I've lost my acquired spins, just the ride progress when I had reached 63%.
(06-23-2019, 05:45 PM)Officespaced Wrote: I'm running the 6/21 build on Quest.  I started a ride this morning. At 63% in I moved my headset to the top of my head to wipe my brow.  At best, perhaps 3-5 seconds pause, before placing the headset back, as designed.  At this point, I have no forward momentum in the ride and no dots.  My spins continue to increment as well as time.  

I then went to the main menu, followed by "Recent".  My ride is listed there, but Progress shows "0%".  I choose it anyway and again, no forward momentum.  Ironically, earlier during mid-game, around the 20% mark, I had looked at Recent Rides and it did display the current progression percentage.  

I ended up going to "Find a Ride", choosing the same ride and starting over. Looking at the stats page, It doesn't appear I've lost my acquired spins, just the ride progress when I had reached 63%.

Somewhat similar behavior today and something more bizarre too!

Yesterday, I had started the  "Yukon, Alasda" ride.  I only made it 3% of the way before switching to VZfit Play.  Before switching,  I went to menu and then "Recent" to see if my progress was there. It showed 3% Completed.  

This morning I started VZFit Explorer it has me cycling the Alaska ride by default. I didn't choose any option, but it has me starting from the beginning/0% Completed.  Under the "Recent" menu, it also shows Alaska as my most recent ride with a 0% Resume notation.  Sad

Knowing I couldn't finish the 93.7 mile ride in one session before work, I chose the "County Mayo, Ireland" ride. I made it 27% of the way through.  At that point the road I was on ended, I needed to go Left or Right.  However, the White Dots do not show a path forward, in fact they ended at initial road.  Huh

I attempted to ride left, but the map smears and stops, so I course go right, and it too smears and stops.  Seems I've reached the end of the road as far as the game is concerned.  I even went back to Recent menu and tried to resume, but still the same behavior.