Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VR but the cockpits and bike handlebars are in 2D...am I missing something?
Long time VR user, new to VIRZoom...I do love it as it's fun, however what is extremely disappointing is the cockpits/bike being in 2D for the games. This kind of defeats the purpose of VR no? It instantly break immersion for me. I know the GO and Quest can handle it so am not sure why. If it's a nausea thing, shouldn't it be an option?
Hi Loyalty,
When you say 2D do you mean monoscopic, which renders the same perspective in each eye? We do stereoscopic rendering on both Go & Quest in VZfit Play, and default to stereoscopic on the Quest in VZfit Explorer with the option to do monoscopic. On the Go in VZfit Explorer we lock the rendering to monoscopic for performance reasons. Monoscopic also helps some people by reducing the perception of depth artifacts, which is why we lock Comfort Mode to monoscopic even on the Quest.

Stereoscopic doesn't have a big performance effect on the Go, but it can mean the difference between hitting 60 fps down to 50% battery or down to 25% battery in Explorer, which is pushing the Go for all she's got. That is tough to explain anywhere a regular user would notice, so we felt making it non-optional was best. If we're able to optimize it further so it doesn't affect framerate like that we can make it an option like the Quest.
We've optimized the Go enough recently that I gave stereoscopic another shot, and it's a small enough impact that we can reintroduce it to the Options menu. Look for it in the next build. But we'll keep it defaulted to monoscopic on the Go.
(03-22-2020, 08:12 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We've optimized the Go enough recently that I gave stereoscopic another shot, and it's a small enough impact that we can reintroduce it to the Options menu.  Look for it in the next build.  But we'll keep it defaulted to monoscopic on the Go.

Tyvm for your work - awesome!
(03-22-2020, 08:12 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We've optimized the Go enough recently that I gave stereoscopic another shot, and it's a small enough impact that we can reintroduce it to the Options menu.  Look for it in the next build.  But we'll keep it defaulted to monoscopic on the Go.

I'm using the Go and tested out this new feature. I was quite surprised at what I had been missing!

While stereoscopic is a welcome addition, the POV seems a bit off... almost as if I am riding a child's bike instead of an adults. I'm really bad at guessing distances...but when I look down it appears the ground is a foot or two higher than it should be. If I was able to see my feet in VR...I expect, standing on the street...they would be underground...
Our bicycle and head height are correctly scaled for a 6' rider. You're probably used to the monoscopic effect by now, which magnifies the size of nearby objects by presenting them with the same perspective as distance objects. Another reason could be the fixed IPD of the Go, but the adjustable IPD of the Quest mostly reduces eyestrain rather than change perspective.
(03-25-2020, 11:02 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Our bicycle and head height are correctly scaled for a 6' rider.  You're probably used to the monoscopic effect by now, which magnifies the size of nearby objects by presenting them with the same perspective as distance objects.  Another reason could be the fixed IPD of the Go, but the adjustable IPD of the Quest mostly reduces eyestrain rather than change perspective.

I think you are right. After using it for a second time today, I didn't find the distance nearly as jarring. I also noticed that nearby objects seem to not be magnified as much, and have a more realistic scale.

I am very happy with these improvements. I didn't notice any major performance issues. Most of my ride was in a fairly open rural area averaging 95-100 rpm. 

As for overheating on the GO... I ride with a large fan blowing on my face... I'm thinking it might help with that... I'm still sweating tons...had my first issue with fogging today...not too bad though...
(03-26-2020, 02:39 AM)Shon_T Wrote: As for overheating on the GO... I ride with a large fan blowing on my face... I'm thinking it might help with that... I'm still sweating tons...had my first issue with fogging today...not too bad though...

I get sweaty fast and to avoid fogging use a little anti-fog spray (like Spit from amazon) which works for few days. A fan is also great because it adds the sensation of movement on your skin.
(03-26-2020, 03:04 AM)emalafeew Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 02:39 AM)Shon_T Wrote: As for overheating on the GO... I ride with a large fan blowing on my face... I'm thinking it might help with that... I'm still sweating tons...had my first issue with fogging today...not too bad though...

I get sweaty fast and to avoid fogging use a little anti-fog spray (like Spit from amazon) which works for few days.  A fan is also great because it adds the sensation of movement on your skin.

Thanks...I meant to add that I might check out some of that anti-fog spray you mentioned on Facebook if it becomes more of an issue. It isn't usually this humid where I live..so I'm thinking it might just be a minor issue right now...
What an awesome response! Though to be honest, now I am a little confused.

Since I've had it, I've always had the option of comfort mode, city mode etc in VZFit Explorer but in VZFit play, the cockpits are monoscopic. (Racecar, Helicopter, etc)

Ok, I just went back in and tried VZFit Explorer and changed it and that looks GREAT! If that can be done to VZfit Play, that would be amazing!

BTW Excellent job on updating helicopter to show press B to dive...that had me puzzled, now I can fly fast!