Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
VRFS: Shimanami Kaido - Japan
Brick 
SHIMANAMI KAIDO – JAPAN 48 MILES

This is the common name for the Honshu-Shikoku Bridge Expressway connecting Onomichi and Imabari. Along the way this route travels across several of the smaller islands in Japan.  With great views of both the coastal areas of Japan, as well as some small towns, it’s a great taste of the country.
If you enjoy this area be sure to come back and do some open riding to some of the shrines and other features. Find out more here.
I've ridden virtually throughout Japan. I really appreciated the chance go visit this route, a part of Japan that I had not previously explored.

Riding across and around the various bridges and coastline made this ride quite enjoyable. While not as urban and population dense as some parts of Japan, this area is not as rural as others either. I enjoyed riding by the grandfathers and grandmothers fishing with their grandchildren, or seeing a couple of schoolboys fishing as well. Their was also a brief moment of a "sunset ride" along the coast that was quite special.

This ride definitely whets the appetite for further exploration of Japan...something I would highly encourage. Japanese unique geology and culture definitely "feels" exoctic to western visitors.
5/5

This ride was an unexpected joy! A wonderful archipelago, with islands linked by a series of architecturally impressive modern bridges, this combined fantastic ocean riding with some nice little detours through quirky villages. Towards the end there was a spectular solar moment entirely befitting the Land of the Rising Sun, a really great moment to experience in virtual reality, and a nice reward for forty odd miles of pedaling.

I also loved that seemingly the entire Japanese island populace drive about in dinky little boxcars that look like they belong in a cartoon.

I had no idea what to expect of Japan before but I'd certainly like to explore the mainland now. Not sure if Shon can share his tour rides but if so I'd love to do them!
(08-31-2020, 01:08 AM)KevinBrook Wrote: 5/5

This ride was an unexpected joy! A wonderful archipelago, with islands linked by a series of architecturally impressive modern bridges, this combined fantastic ocean riding with some nice little detours through quirky villages. Towards the end there was a spectular solar moment entirely befitting the Land of the Rising Sun, a really great moment to experience in virtual reality, and a nice reward for forty odd miles of pedaling.

I also loved that seemingly the entire Japanese island populace drive about in dinky little boxcars that look like they belong in a cartoon.

I had no idea what to expect of Japan before but I'd certainly like to explore the mainland now. Not sure if Shon can share his tour rides but if so I'd love to do them!

I shared a couple that are reviewed in this forum.  Smile