Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Yukon, Alaska
Brick 
Distance: 93.7 Miles
Map: GPS Route

PeteMac suggested this loooong ride through his childhood home of Alaska.
I'll start off the reviews section then!

This is the longest of the recommended rides if I recall, and at 93 miles is by far the longest ride I've undertaken. I typically ride for 30 minutes at a time, around 10 miles so this was 8 or 9 trips to complete.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5 or an 8 out of 10

PRO'S

Minimal distortions, thanks to lots of wide-open spaces.
No traffic at all, I think I counted three trucks on the whole journey!
No freezes, or problems with dots not loading.
The scene changes from bleak, White Walker style winter, to still cold but habitable Wildland territory, with forests replacing snow and ice. Later on there are a few little streams that you ride across as a glorious golden sun breaks through the trees and the clouds.
The gradual change of colour from snowy white, to cold blue-grey to browns to orange yellow over the course of the ride is very nice, it feels like you're migrating from a winter to spring climate.

CONS

Aside from the season/colour change the ride is very samey. There were large parts of it that felt exactly like what I ridden the day before, just a slow ride through endless hills, forests with mountains looming. I guess that's because Alaska is really big. And bleak.
This isn't a ride I've ridden straight through, mostly because of the sameness mentioned in the prior post. But it's great for me to ride a 10-mile section or so on a hot day, spreading that Alaska scenery out over time.
If you like this one, you'll probably also like the ride in the northwestern lands of Iceland...I don't recall the name of the ride (and I sure wish there was some online listing of all the rides, and a link so that I could pick a ride on my laptop and put it in my Favorites folder to try it out on the bike).
I'm in the middle of this ride, it is amazing, wide open spaces lots of snow...if you are riding on a hot summer day...this one should cool you down!
I really liked it! I didn't mind the sameness so much. The landscape still changes gradually, and sometimes the sun is just above the mountains, and you get beautiful colours. It definitely took me some days though!
For some reason I love the bleakness too, even the sameness. I did most of the route and liked it so much that I mapped and uploaded the same hwy, but from Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) down to Fairbanks. Worked out just shy of 500 miles. I'm 5% in so far - 15 miles today alone - and still on the flats. A couple more days until I reach the mountains. From previewing the route in Wander, I'll hit summer closer to Fairbanks.
(07-18-2020, 03:18 AM)laurel Wrote: For some reason I love the bleakness too, even the sameness. I did most of the route and liked it so much that I mapped and uploaded the same hwy, but from Prudhoe Bay (Deadhorse) down to Fairbanks. Worked out just shy of 500 miles. I'm 5% in so far - 15 miles today alone - and still on the flats. A couple more days until I reach the mountains. From previewing the route in Wander, I'll hit summer closer to Fairbanks.

That's awesome. I still think it's amazing that VZFit allows for experiences like this, like it should be bigger news than it is!
Just finished this ride yesterday, deinitely my favorite so far! Totally awsome!