Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belt adjustment on original VirZoom bike
Can anyone link me to a maintenance guide for the VirZOOM Virtual Reality Exercise Bike? The belt is starting to slip and I'd like to adjust it. I removed the side covers, and also noticed lots of rubber shavings, so I might even have to get a new belt eventually. I've done minor maintenance on it in the past (new pedals) but this seems a little more involved. I see 2 adjustable nuts on both sides of the wheel / frame when the covers are off, and another adjustable nut above the chrome wheel.
I have not done this myself but it's been said that these are the same basic internals as a FitDesk bike. I found a few videos for those. Here's one that looks promising...

https://youtu.be/udTghPrcB48
Thanks for the suggestion. I've contacted the makers of FitDesk today but they were not much help. Their replies to my inquiries were:

"Thanks for reaching out to us. We're not familiar with this bike so we don't know if our parts will fit. Have you tried contacting the manufacture?"

and 

"I would recommend contacting a belt manufacture. Our belts are made to fit our products."

My slightly rough measurements of the belt I need is about 2ft circumference, and about 7 1/2 inches diameter, and has 4 ridges. I can't seem to find it on their website. I did find the same belt that is used on the middle wheel, in case I ever need it (the belt in the middle is clearly marked with a part number), but no sign of the belt on the left (from looking at the bike from the front). Perhaps someone from VirZoom will chime in, for there are no markings of any kind on the belt I need.
I don't have one open in front of me, but believe if you unscrew the plastic side panels you can loosen, move, and retighten one of the pulley bearings to tighten the belt. I've done it before, you want it to be tight enough it doesn't slip but not so tight it adds drag.
(04-30-2020, 07:29 PM)emalafeew Wrote: I don't have one open in front of me, but believe if you unscrew the plastic side panels you can loosen, move, and retighten one of the pulley bearings to tighten the belt.  I've done it before, you want it to be tight enough it doesn't slip but not so tight it adds drag.

Yes, I do have my unit open, and I had planned to just tighten the belt, but the belt is in such poor shape that it needs to be replaced. There are cracks in the belt, and tons of rubber shavings due to it deteriorating. Would you happen to know the name or part number for that belt? The middle belt is marked 230J, which is an easy belt to find for purchase. But the other belt, is slightly larger and has 4 grooves. I can't seem to find it anywhere, but it's difficult because I don't know what that belt is called or it's part number, for there are no marking at all on the belt.
Going to do some digging and see if we can the info for you Smile
Thank you so much. Here are some pictures of the belt and it's location. Looking at the pictures, it's the belt all the way to the left in the pictures. Farthest from the heavy chrome wheel.
[Image: DSC00767.jpg]
[Image: DSC00766.jpg]
[Image: DSC00769.jpg]
I did some digging based on the Fitdesk 1.0 which really seems identical and I am about 99% sure this is the belt needed;

Gates 240J4 Micro-V Belt, J Section, 240J Size, 24" Length, 3/8" Width, 4 Rib https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CJK39AC/r...REb1TKPSC1
Thank you for finding that. It's cheap, free shipping and free returns, so I ordered. Should get here around the 10th. I'll keep this topic updated on the results.
Awesome! I have the original bike too and so far mine is holding up well but I'm interested in this for future reference Smile