Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sharing my latest game prototype...
So I kinda put my Shark game on the back burner for now - it will probably come back someday but for now, I just wasn't finding it that much fun Smile

Turned my energies toward something a little different.... this is still obviously an early prototype (although it has come farther than the Shark game did) but thought I would post a video and see what y'all think.   If anyone is interested in beta-testing I might need some testers soon... 

That laser noise sounds so familiar .. I thought it was missile defense but apparently not.

Looks super cool! Are you pedaling during it?
Looks promising. Need a big boss to take out every couple of levels. Can you control the direction of the craft?
(04-12-2020, 07:12 PM)Snowpelt Wrote: That laser noise sounds so familiar  .. I thought  it was missile defense but apparently not.

Looks super cool! Are you pedaling during it?

I got it from a "Laser Construction Kit" asset which has a ton of different sounds in it Smile

Yes to pedaling - that actually helps control the speed of the starfield coming at you to help with a sense of motion
(04-12-2020, 10:19 PM)spyder17 Wrote: Looks promising.  Need a big boss to take out every couple of levels.  Can you control the direction of the craft?

You can, but the world is empty (right now) so you don't notice that you are moving in any particular direction (other than forward).
Man, I just had a sweet idea for a sort of planetary exploration game based on this. lol
(04-13-2020, 12:05 AM)Stain2319 Wrote: Man, I just had a sweet idea for a sort of planetary exploration game based on this. lol

We did some experiments along those lines.  We ended up having to play games with camera and avatar scale and speed to reconcile how fast you have to go between planets (or their moons) and showing planetary scale the closer your get.
Could test this by playing No Man Sky with Virtual desktop. Just only move forward when your pedaling and see how the scale feels Smile
Seeking opinions:

Do you prefer a game where the enemies can shoot back, and you might die and end your session early?

Or do you prefer something more like a speed/score penalty that doesn't "kill" you as a player?
I think I personally prefer something in a Rogue lite style. Where you can die and end your progress but your always working towards a bigger goal so time doesn't feel wasted.

This oddly enough is what I most relate to when working out as well. Not every sessions is going to set a new PR, or record for the work out, but the progress over time becomes noticeable and then when that same workout comes up again you can see how much you have improved.
(04-15-2020, 12:55 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: I think I personally prefer something in a Rogue lite style. Where you can die and end your progress but your always working towards a bigger goal so time doesn't feel wasted.

This oddly enough is what I most relate to when working out as well. Not every sessions is going to set a new PR, or record for the work out, but the progress over time becomes noticeable and then when that same workout comes up again you can see how much you have improved.

Would you say that in terms of a more "arcade game" context, this translates to chasing a personal high score?