Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oculus Go Crashing...
So...for the last three days, The Explore App has been crashing on my Go. It forces a hard reset, and I lose progress. Usually it is about 2 hours into my ride..at about 8-9k spins. It always happens just after closing the pause menu and starting to ride. Sometimes it is a brief pause...sometimes a longer pause. In each case I had just written down my GPS coordinates.

When I am able to reset the app, it tells me I only did 4-5k spins and sets me back about a 20-30 minute ride (at Level 1) From where I was before. Today...I was actually riding a total of 6 hours before it crashed...but again...that particular session was about 2 hours in and about 9k spins. It is a bit frustrating because It take 20+ minutes to catch back up where I was at. I've probably lost about 10k spins according to the App. I'm not sure if they are still being counted elsewhere, but the distances have been short enough...I Just decided to re-ride part of the route on level 1 difficulty, rather than starting a new ride at my last recorded GPS end point.

After the crash today I enabled "mono" visual mode on the Go, hoping it would fix the problem. Changing to the new mode is the only thing different over the last several weeks that I can think of. I'm wondering if it is just too much for my GO...or if the problem is somewhere else?
Hey Shon,
I am sure Eric will chime in on this one, but I wanted to add this extra info. You ride with it plugged in right? Do you know if it's battery level neutral or does it slowly drain as you play? Just want to help rule out the Go slowdown at lower battery levels.
(04-05-2020, 05:45 PM)Snowpelt Wrote: Hey Shon,
I am sure Eric will chime in on this one, but I wanted to add this extra info. You ride with it plugged in right? Do you know if it's battery level neutral or does it slowly drain as you play?  Just want to help rule out the Go slowdown at lower battery levels.

The battery Level is either neutral or charges when I ride. I will occasionally unplug it to grab something or talk to someone, but mostly it stays plugged into an outlet when I ride.
Is this issue still being reviewed? I didn't have any issue on my ride yesterday, but as I mentioned, I turned monoscope "on" when riding in explore as I suspect that may have been a factor in the crashing.

I've had the app crash before, which is why I periodically stop and track my progress... but not with such regularity.
Yes, Eric's been a bit tied up the last few days. We are going to be untying him and letting him back onto the forums soon Smile Sorry for the delay
Thanks for the update. Smile
Hi Shon sorry for the delay!

I suspect your Go is being overloaded between your ride times and keeping it plugged in, which also generates some heat. I also predicted we'd have this trouble when allowing Go users to not be locked to Mono, because stereo rendering takes more computing. Our games do have a hook that Android calls before it runs out of batteries to store progress (ACTION_REQUEST_SHUTDOWN), but seems it isn't being called in the case of your crashes.

Can you confirm it's been stable as long as you have Mono enabled?
(04-08-2020, 03:58 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Hi Shon sorry for the delay!

I suspect your Go is being overloaded between your ride times and keeping it plugged in, which also generates some heat.  I also predicted we'd have this trouble when allowing Go users to not be locked to Mono, because stereo rendering takes more computing.  Our games do have a hook that Android calls before it runs out of batteries to store progress (ACTION_REQUEST_SHUTDOWN), but seems it isn't being called in the case of your crashes.

Can you confirm it's been stable as long as you have Mono enabled?

Thanks for looking into this issue.

Yes, I remembered your prediction, which is why I suspected it might be the issue.

The Go has been stable since I locked back into Mono mode, but it has only been a couple of rides, and they haven't been as long. I will keep it on Mono and let you know if I see any further performance issues. 

In terms of heat...I've only noticed the GO getting warm in situations where I have already discharged the battery and I am continuing to use it while recharging it. Using it plugged in while already at 100% charge does not generate a noticeable heat issue.  I say noticeable, because I realize something might still be going on...even if I am not noticing it.  When I am riding, I always have a fan or two blowing on my face and the Go as well. I have not received any overheating warnings. 

I suppose in the "Crash" situations there may have been times I temporarily unplugged the Go, to get some water or run an errand. Perhaps plugging it back in, and then restarting a ride triggered something?  Maybe the combination of attempting to recharge even a few percent of battery, and Stereo Mode is the straw that breaks the camel's back?
Another test I might suggest is to go back to stereoscopic but take a 10 min break every 90 mins (perhaps putting the Go next to a fan), do another of your 6-hour sessions (with those breaks) and check the result. This would help rule in/out heat specifically as an issue, vs something like a memory leak from long sessions.
(04-08-2020, 10:29 PM)Stain2319 Wrote: Another test I might suggest is to go back to stereoscopic but take a 10 min break every 90 mins (perhaps putting the Go next to a fan), do another of your 6-hour sessions (with those breaks) and check the result.  This would help rule in/out heat specifically as an issue, vs something like a memory leak from long sessions.

Hmm...well..the first couple of times it happened roughly around two hours of riding. On my 8 hour session..it was roughly around hour 6. I had been using the headset almost the entire day...but broke my ride into shorter sessions... after an hour of riding, I created a new map in order to visit a city that my route ran near...I spent an hour in the city. The headset crashed multiple times...but it had to do with the map trying to jump to a google street view point that just wasn't there... I rode for roughly another two hours...took about an hour break for lunch. Then I started riding for another two hours...that is when the crash occurred.