Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cadence and speed sensor support
Both Play and Explorer can now be played with any Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) cadence or speed sensors.  They have more latency than our sensor, between 2-4 seconds, but the games still work fine.

To perform actions, you can use the Oculus hand controller (trigger=A, B/Y/touchpad=B) or get a Bluetooth media button (previous=A, next=B).  Because cadence and speed sensors don't track direction, the B button makes you go in reverse in games where it doesn't make you dive.

The VZfit Sensor kit is still available and the best way to play, because its sensor has no latency and detects direction, and its button is designed for comfortable responsive play. 

Our goal is to widen the number of players who can experience VZfit, who may already have a cadence or speed sensor, or want one for the price or compatibility with other apps.
While other companies like Zwift seem to be moving towards a more exclusive hardware model (They just laid off a bunch of folks to focus on hardware development) I'm glad to see companies like yours are working on ideas to expand the user base. Smile
(03-24-2020, 02:40 PM)Shon_T Wrote: While other companies like Zwift seem to be moving towards a more exclusive hardware model (They just laid off a bunch of folks to focus on hardware development) I'm glad to see companies like yours are working on ideas to expand the user base. Smile

I agree with this. Very cool!
We've identified a couple issues that should be fixed tomorrow for cadence/speed users:

1. If you have both cadence and speed sensors hooked to your bike, as Zwift allows, only one of those will be registered as your VZfit sensor. From then on, each time you rerun our apps you'll have a 50% chance of connecting to the other one, and getting a "contact support" message when it asks you to register. We're planning to fix tomorrow by only allowing our apps to connect to the sensor you registered.

2. The Oculus controller recenter method (home button for 2 sec) works on Quest but currently not Go, because our app doesn't get a callback from the Oculus SDK like we'd need. But I'll find a way to detect it another way so the Go home button works. Until then the proper way to recenter in VZfit apps is to look down and press the RECENTER button.
(03-25-2020, 09:08 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We've identified a couple issues that should be fixed tomorrow for cadence/speed users:

1. If you have both cadence and speed sensors hooked to your bike, as Zwift allows, only one of those will be registered as your VZfit sensor.  From then on, each time you rerun our apps you'll have a 50% chance of connecting to the other one, and getting a "contact support" message when it asks you to register.  We're planning to fix tomorrow by only allowing our apps to connect to the sensor you registered.

2. The Oculus controller recenter method (home button for 2 sec) works on Quest but currently not Go, because our app doesn't get a callback from the Oculus SDK like we'd need.  But I'll find a way to detect it another way so the Go home button works.  Until then the proper way to recenter in VZfit apps is to look down and press the RECENTER button.

These are both fixed in today's releases.

To fix (1) we now only connect to the last sensor you played with.  If you want to play with a different sensor, you can press the A button to connect to any compatible device again.  Note you would need to contact support@virzoom.com to change which sensor is registered with your account.

We also added battery level detection to cadence/speed sensors, so they'll report low battery in our games HUD.
There was an edge case in our algorithm for detecting Go recentering with Oculus button that is fixed in latest release.