Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDK question(s)
Thanks a bunch! The one drawback is I have become so obsessed with this, I am spending all my free time in Unity and hardly any on the bike!! Smile

I will check out those resources you mentioned. The technical part is (relatively) easy for me as I'm naturally inclined that way, and there are some concepts I get right away because I'm a gamer by nature, so I intuitively "get" how certain things happen in games... but I am now learning a lot of "tricks" that are new to me (like teleporting a user backwards to make it seem like they're running infinitely) which has been challenging, but in a good way.

At this point I believe I have prototyped enough things and developed enough of an understanding to potentially put together a playable game, with scoring and everything - I look forward to sharing!
So, I've got a question that once again you may or may not be able to answer and that is fine. Smile

I've got an Audio Source on my player character avatar so it constantly makes a noise when the game is active.

I've got it set to "play on awake" and it starts playing as soon as the 'press R to start' screen comes up.

I am trying to figure out if there is some way I can make it so the audio doesn't start (and/or take other actions) until after the player hits R to start. Looking at the VZPlayer code it seems like it would be pretty easy but everything I try doesn't work - I tried setting it NOT to play on Awake and then tried adding code to start it up at certain points but it seems like I'm putting it in the wrong spot because it still plays immediately on entering the game but before pressing R to drop the transition canvas.
Turning off "play on awake" is the right first step.

VZPlayer.Restart() gets called when you press R, which you can override in a subclass like so

Code:
class YourPlayer : VZPlayer
{
   protected override void Restart()
   {
      base.Restart();
      yourAudioObject.Play();
   }
}
Thanks again! I'll be posting a video later of my latest progress. It needs polishing but I've got the basics of a game...
OK... here you go - it is pretty silly and needs a lot of polish; this is mostly a proof-of-concept/learning experience for me.  I have a lot to do, including making the fish look better and actually do something more than just float there - the fish I have now are just placeholders essentially while I work out the logic etc...

anyway - it is actually kinda fun, and learning all about Unity has been fun too!    Hopefully the SDK catches on, I am sure there is a lot of untapped creativity out there...

(03-31-2020, 08:56 PM)Stain2319 Wrote: OK... here you go - it is pretty silly and needs a lot of polish; this is mostly a proof-of-concept/learning experience for me.  I have a lot to do, including making the fish look better and actually do something more than just float there - the fish I have now are just placeholders essentially while I work out the logic etc...

anyway - it is actually kinda fun, and learning all about Unity has been fun too!    Hopefully the SDK catches on, I am sure there is a lot of untapped creativity out there...

Wow...looks like it could be a very fun game! Smile
Thanks! It feels like it has potential. When I get it to a point where i feel like it's a solid game I'll post a link to download it eventually.
There are a lot of places this could go! Nice work so far
Super cool! Reminds me of the silly game on most rowers. Where you try to eat as many fish as possible, but avoid being eaten Smile
(04-02-2020, 12:12 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Super cool! Reminds me of the silly game on most rowers. Where you try to eat as many fish as possible, but avoid being eaten Smile

To signal that a megashark was coming behind you, might need some kind of shadow and sound effect to know to get out of the way.  It would be awesome to look behind and see something that massive, and watch it swim by if you successfully avoid.  

That's how I felt when swimming with whale sharks at the Atlanta aquarium.