Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I name my own rides in Explorer?
Question 
Is there a way to title my rides in Explorer? I am pedaling from my home in Georgia to my hometown in Michigan, and I'd like to call it something other than "IslaReina's 1st Ride" (or something like that it was called!).  Trivial I know, but just wondering.  Big Grin
Hi we don't have an official way for users to name rides yet. Automatic naming of rides guarantees they are unique and nonprofane, which are two things we'd have to worry about then. I'm happy in the meantime to change a ride names for people if they ask.
Oh thanks!  I will keep that in mind, right now I'm just trying to find a way to get there.  

I put in the beginning and ending addresses in Explorer, and twice I was lead to a dead end (once I couldn't get on to I-75 which was okay since I didn't want to see hours and hours of freeway anyway, and the second time I ran into construction and couldn't go forward or around).  

This morning I consulted Google Maps for a walking route (12 days 9 hours by foot) but when I entered the starting and ending address in Explorer and started my ride, it would only let me follow the white dots and not my own route.  Incidentally, I've deleted all of those rides in Explorer since they are incomplete.  

So this morning I started over, entering just the starting address, no ending address, and I am able to pedal where I choose (but I can't see the percentage of my ride or how many miles to go).    I tried to memorize as much of the walking route that I could (knowing where my first turn was) but I was hit with another dead end.  I think I'm just going to keep going, looking back and forth between Google Maps and Explorer to get there!  I can't see the street signs in Explorer since they are distorted, so I'm not exactly sure where I am.  It would be great (and humorous) if there were a way to track myself on a map!  In fact, yes, if you could change the name of this ride that would be great, let me know what you need.  I think I'm going to stick with this one until I make my way home, even if I have to keep turning around.  Could you name it "Georgia to Michigan?"
We have a plan to deal with dead-ends and construction, that prevent white dots from appearing where Google directions would take you, which is to jump over those spaces to the next white dots we can find along those directions.

Also in the future, we plan to allow you to make rides entirely on vzfit.com, so you can leverage Google MyMaps to not just take the shortest path between two points, and see where there's Streetview coverage and go around where there's not.

Until then you're doing the right thing, which is making a ride without an endpoint so you can decide what turns to take. The game will record your ride until you "finish" it from the pause menu, at which point I can rename it. Is it "Islareina's Southfield Ride" that you want renamed, or are you still in the middle of making it?

I like your idea to show where on a map you currently are. On the pause menu we show your current street address & latitude, longitude if that's any help.
Your future plans sound awesome!  

I found exactly what you were referring to, the pause menu that shows the current street address and that is a tremendous help, I can return to Google Maps and drop a flag in the exact spot.  In fact, this morning my husband took a detour (IRL) in his trip just so he could visit the spot to where I reached today in Explorer, and sent me a live picture, this is so much fun!  The ride is in my "Faves" and I believe it's called IslaReina's Valdosta Ride 5."  The Southfield ride was just for fun (but that's my endpoint).  The heads up display doesn't tell me how many miles I've gone or how many miles to go (since I can't put it an end point) but Google Maps tell me I've got 912 miles to go from my current spot. I won't be finished for months but that's okay, I'm having a great time!

Now my husband would like to join, but we can't make the match-up work.  He's using the Quest and I'm using the Go.  A few minutes ago we both logged in to Explorer.  We both have Matchups enabled and we both went to Find Matchup but we don't see each other.  Oh... wait, I've just re-read the blog and it looks like I have to already be on the ride.  Okay then, we'll try again! Heart Loving this!
(10-01-2019, 01:57 PM)Islareina Wrote: Your future plans sound awesome!  

I found exactly what you were referring to, the pause menu that shows the current street address and that is a tremendous help, I can return to Google Maps and drop a flag in the exact spot.  In fact, this morning my husband took a detour (IRL) in his trip just so he could visit the spot to where I reached today in Explorer, and sent me a live picture, this is so much fun!  The ride is in my "Faves" and I believe it's called IslaReina's Valdosta Ride 5."  The Southfield ride was just for fun (but that's my endpoint).  The heads up display doesn't tell me how many miles I've gone or how many miles to go (since I can't put it an end point) but Google Maps tell me I've got 912 miles to go from my current spot. I won't be finished for months but that's okay, I'm having a great time!

Now my husband would like to join, but we can't make the match-up work.  He's using the Quest and I'm using the Go.  A few minutes ago we both logged in to Explorer.  We both have Matchups enabled and we both went to Find Matchup but we don't see each other.  Oh... wait, I've just re-read the blog and it looks like I have to already be on the ride.  Okay then, we'll try again! Heart Loving this!

Wow good luck on your 900 mile journey!  That'll be a first! I'll be happy to rename after you end it.

Hopefully Matchups worked for you with that limitation.  We have a task for the next Explorer build to allow both people to be in Find Matchups.