Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback on standup mode
Hi everyone,

We’re excited that standup mode is available to demo in our latest build and would love your feedback on it.

Standup mode is being built for our upcoming Oculus store release, so that anyone with just a Quest can play and get great exercise from VZfit.

By the time we release on the store it will be our new full default mode, with a custom trainer and better UX flow for connecting devices and everything else.

Explorer is the app we are turning into VZfit for Quest. When it launches, Play will still be available for bikes only. But our plan after launch is to incorporate Play games that can also be played in standup mode into VZfit for Quest, as well as new virtual world and Streetview experiences.

The first step was to create a special vehicle and mode for standup exercise, which is now in the current Explorer build for you to try. If you are already signed into Explorer with your bike, you will need to press Y/B in startup to “connect new device”. From there you will be able to press Y/B again to enter standup mode. New users will have that option right away before they’ve registered a bike.

You will play standup mode with the premium or freemium membership associated with your bike. New users won’t be able to signup or try premium until they get a bike, for now. But we’ll be changing our registration flow for anyone to try VZfit for free without creating an account, and then allow anyone to signup for premium using your Oculus account for payment.

The first thing you’ll notice when selecting standup mode is it asks you to stand in a clear area before recenteribg to start the game. Make sure you have at least one meter space around you, and are holding both oculus hand controllers. We’ll be using the oculus hand controllers more for menus and recentering, but for now (and ever with bikes) we still have gaze-buttons.

When you start the game you’ll be standing on your new vehicle, called an “Exerboard”. It’s a futuristic cross between a Can-Am and Segway, that reacts to your head and hands motion to drive. It works with customizations, snapshots, multiplayer, and every other mode we have. In 3rd person you’ll even see yourself standing on it, animated by your head and hands.

Any kind of head and hands motion will start it moving. You can sway your arms like walking, or do squats and lunges, or mimic cross country skiing. We tuned it to similar amount of energy you out into biking for a workout. You head generates more speed than your hands because it takes more energy to move. And it matter how much your hands move relative to your head. Use both hands to get the most speed from them.

By default you play standup mode with autosteering. But you can still switch to Tilt steering to control yourself, which can feel more like a real walk, and which you’ll need to take your own turns in open rides. When you go back to bike mode you can also switch back to Lean steering if you prefer.

That’s it for now! We really hope you enjoy it as another way to get exercise and can help us make it and our store build the best it can be for launch early next year.
I haven't tried the mode yet but noticed today when I logged into Explorer I was required to reregister. Robert did message me this week saying he had added me to the beta so that might have been why. I just did a normal cycle today, 15 mile Brazil suggested ride. The headset froze after 14 miles and I couldn't do anything except restart it. Fortunately it saved my spins and percentage completed so when I restarted I finished it off. It's never done that before so not sure if it was an issue with the latest build or just my headset?

How do I know what update version I am on, do I need to download this new version or do I already have it which is why it asked me to register again (I assumed that for beta access?)

Regarding the new mode I'll have a look at it on Tuesday and report back!
Beta testers will automatically move to the live version when it is updated. The most recent version (which shows up on the start up screen before you connect) is: Oct 2nd 2020
VZfit Quest / Stand is pretty cool.

I only was able to to spend a few minutes with it today, but excited to see the functionality working.

I was not able to notice a difference in speed associated with speed of movement.

Looking forward to seeing new features!

Jonathan
[quote pid='3018' dateline='1601729424']
Hi everyone,

We’re excited that standup mode is available to demo in our latest build and would love your feedback on it.

Standup mode is being built for our upcoming Oculus store release, so that anyone with just a Quest can play and get great exercise from VZfit.  

By the time we release on the store it will be our new full default mode, with a custom trainer and better UX flow for connecting devices and everything else.  

Explorer is the app we are turning into VZfit for Quest. When it launches Play will still be available for bikes only. But our plan after launch is to incorporate Play games that can also be played in standup mode into VZfit for Quest, as well as new virtual world and Streetview experiences.  

Step one was to create a special vehicle and mode for standup exercise, which is now in the current Explorer build for you to try.   If you are already signed into Explorer with your bike, you will need to press Y/B in startup to “connect new device”.  From there you will be able to press Y/B again to enter standup mode.  New users will have that option right away before they’ve registered a bike.

You will play standup mode with the premium or freemium membership associated with your bike.  New users won’t be able to signup or try premium until they get a bike, for now.  But we’ll be changing our registration flow for anyone to try VZfit for free without creating an account, and then allow anyone to signup for premium with an account, that you’ll connect to your Oculus account for payment.

The first thing you’ll notice when selecting standup mode is it asks you to stand in a clear area before recenteribg to start the game. Make sure you have at least one meter space around you, and have both oculus hand controllers.  We’ll be using the oculus hand controllers more for menus and recentering, but for now (and ever with bikes) we still have gaze-buttons.  

When you start the game you’ll be standing on your new vehicle, called an “Exerboard”.  It’s a futuristic cross between a Can-Am and Segway, that reacts to your head and hands motion to drive.  It works with customizations, snapshots, multiplayer, and every other mode we have.  In 3rd person you’ll even see yourself standing on it, animated by your head and hands.

Any kind of head and hands motion will start it moving.  You can sway your arms like walking, or do squats and lunges, or mimic cross country skiing.  We tuned it to similar amount of energy you out into biking for a workout.  You head generates more speed than your hands because it takes more energy to move.  And it matter how much your hands move relative to your head.  Use both hands to get the most speed from them.

By default you play standup mode with autosteering. But you can still switch to Tilt steering to control yourself, which can feel more like a real walk, and you’ll need to take your own turns in open rides.   When you go back to bike mode you can also switch back to Lean steering if you prefer.

That’s it for now!  We really hope you enjoy it as another way to get exercise and can help us make it and our store build the best it can be for launch early next year.
[/quote]
Hi Eric, it is looking great!
It would be nice have something as brake to stop movements (like one click on lef trigger button on controller and left and right push trigger button at once to show 360 Google Street image).
 Also would be great to have more support for some specific sport movements like for example boxing.
If there will be in future more types of vehicles, it would be super. I would like to some more less visible, something like more natural without to much aggressive saturated colors.
It would be also great to have some suggesting soundtrack for simulation being in the landscape (for example wind, birds, sound of riding vehicle on the roads, winds in the ears etc.)
Great job, thanks for this update!
Best Wishes

Daniel
The way we intend to deal with braking is to create a “deadzone” that allows your head and hands to move slowly without triggering motion.

Adding different soundscapes to rides is in our Plan for the Store build. With a better ride building interface we’ll allow user shared rides to pick them too.
(10-07-2020, 12:31 PM)emalafeew Wrote: The way we intend to deal with braking is to create a “deadzone” that allows your head and hands to move slowly without triggering motion.

Adding different soundscapes to rides is in our Plan for the Store build.  With a better ride building interface we’ll allow user shared rides to pick them too.

Hi Eric,

please make this deadzone carefull to avoid make negative impact on reading the  rowing moves on rowing machine.

It is also please possible to give prepaid members like me and others the full beta-version of VZ Explorer? The demo trails is to short for using for practice without bike. It is annoying for existing paid membership. Please make in some way the solution, which allow for paid membership clients use full betaproduct and the demo version keep only for new possibly customers. Thanks a lot!

Best Wishes
Daniel
I thought the membership issue was fixed in our last build. So if you are signed in with your bike, and hit Y/B twice to get to standup mode, it should preserve your premium membership. Maybe that works at first but gets reset if you restart the game? I’ll check after finishing the web manage rides page, hopefully today.
I have been using the standup mode for the last several days and have full access to the rides now. There was only about 1 day where I was only able to demo each ride for a short time.
(10-12-2020, 11:46 AM)emalafeew Wrote: I thought the membership issue was fixed in our last build. So if you are signed in with your bike, and hit Y/B twice to get to standup mode, it should preserve your premium membership.  Maybe that works at first but gets reset if you restart the game?  I’ll check after finishing the web manage rides page, hopefully today.

Hi Eric, thanks for check. I test it yesterday, but there was still only demo mode for me (after press Y button in the beginning the login process). The update I have installed. 

Daniel