Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Impressions of Explore
(02-20-2020, 08:14 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Cool.  Streetview metadata quality is variable so it's worth trying different rides.  City Mode is a less dependent on that metadata, but it's not really appropriate for country rides.  Our "suggested rides" were picked for being relatively good for Country Mode, as are many user-shared rides.  We've also seen that Google can update that metadata, for better or worse, so we're looking into an automated tool to evaluate their changes, or possibly preserve image lookups to their ride creation date.

Also, the Quest would be a bit more comparable to Rift than a Go.  On a Quest our apps run at a higher framerate, and the default steering mode is your leaning (detected from head position tracking) rather than head tilt.  It uses forward/back leaning to dive faster in Play's flying games (Go users can press the B button).  It offers monoscopic rendering as an option, rather than force it like the Go.  It draws City Mode out a bit further, with less foveated rendering.  And of course Quest's position tracking means that leaning changes your perspective, which feels more natural with respect to your avatar.

It's good to hear the differences.

Third Impression:

I came back to my ride today, planning to complete my custom route that I had only completed about 40% of the day before. Unfortunately, the software only put me at 15% completion...which would have added a couple of extra hours to my ride... Sad

I was prepared, and had saved the coordinates of my last position on the route. Instead of continuing my saved route, I created an open route and started riding.

The open route worked fine. it was relatively smooth and glitch free I  stayed on a straight course for the most part...but I could see  the path options at intersections I was crossing. I was satisfied with the open route...I think it would have worked fine, but I was a bit worried about losing my way, and I wasn't all that familiar with the area I was trying to ride into.

With a specific destination in mind, I decided to create an in headset route using my current coordinates. I made sure to "avoid highways" in planning my route.  This turned out to be my best experience so far. The route was incredible smooth, staying on the same side of the road for almost the entire ride. There were minimal glitches. I also had some wide open spaces where I was able to enjoy "country mode" for a while. 

I periodically paused to write down GPS coordinates so that I could later map out my route. I found that the coordinates on the pause menu were quite handy...I just wish I could make them stay on the screen as I often had to wait for the coordinates to flash several times before I could write them down.

I'm thinking my previous hand drawn routes were pulling data from both sides of the road...creating a slalom like effect. I had none of that on this ride. It might have helped that most of the ride was in open country...I suspect most of my previous issues are in busy cities with multiple layers of data.

Tomorrow I am headed to Mount Fuji. There is a Google Street view that shows the entire hike. Will I be able to bike it? I guess I will know in a couple of days when I get there.

Messages In This Thread
First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-20-2020, 01:09 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Tercelman - 02-20-2020, 02:16 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-20-2020, 04:12 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by emalafeew - 02-20-2020, 05:56 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-20-2020, 05:05 PM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by emalafeew - 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-21-2020, 04:48 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by emalafeew - 02-21-2020, 01:20 PM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-21-2020, 04:50 PM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by Shon_T - 02-22-2020, 04:48 AM
RE: First Impressions of Explore - by emalafeew - 02-22-2020, 01:11 PM