Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for the Oculus Rift
Hi,

We have an Oculus Rift, bought at launch - it's excellent and still offers a higher resolution than some of the later headsets.

As I can easily route the cable to avoid any issues with a bike, is there support for the Rift?

Thanks

Trev
I have the Rift too. It still works great! I can still play all of the latest games on it as well.

I purchased the Go when it first came out. It is lighter, has a higher resolution, but a slightly lower FOV. It is very comfortable to wear. I really like the Go, but for different reasons than the Rift. it is like a portable movie theater, when I travel..it takes up very little space in a travel bag. I can lay on a bed or recliner and watch movies or surf the internet in the most ergonomically comfortable position. For what you get...the price on the Go is fairly reasonable. Smile
We have just about every VR headset and supported them all with our first product, the VZ Bike with VirZOOM Arcade.

With VZfit we realized we didn't have a big enough dev team to get out meaningful improvements every month AND maintain support on all those headsets and stores, with different levels of detail between PC-class and mobile-class applications. So we decided to focus on the Go & Quest as the most affordable and best suited headsets for our brand of exercise.

Since the Rift uses the same SDK and store it would be the shortest hop to support again, but would have same detail that can render fast enough on the Quest and Go. If that's appealing to enough people we can talk about it! But in terms of platform expansion we've been aiming at more types of bikes and exercise than VR headsets.
(05-01-2020, 05:30 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We have just about every VR headset and supported them all with our first product, the VZ Bike with VirZOOM Arcade.

With VZfit we realized we didn't have a big enough dev team to get out meaningful improvements every month AND maintain support on all those headsets and stores, with different levels of detail between PC-class and mobile-class applications.  So we decided to focus on the Go & Quest as the most affordable and best suited headsets for our brand of exercise.  

Since the Rift uses the same SDK and store it would be the shortest hop to support again, but would have same detail that can render fast enough on the Quest and Go.  If that's appealing to enough people we can talk about it!  But in terms of platform expansion we've been aiming at more types of bikes and exercise than VR headsets.

I started with the Rift, but only moved to the Go because the Rift wasn't supported. I think support for the Rift/Rift-S would be fantastic... especially if it didn't create too much extra work for your small team.
(05-02-2020, 04:11 PM)Shon_T Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 05:30 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We have just about every VR headset and supported them all with our first product, the VZ Bike with VirZOOM Arcade.

With VZfit we realized we didn't have a big enough dev team to get out meaningful improvements every month AND maintain support on all those headsets and stores, with different levels of detail between PC-class and mobile-class applications.  So we decided to focus on the Go & Quest as the most affordable and best suited headsets for our brand of exercise.  

Since the Rift uses the same SDK and store it would be the shortest hop to support again, but would have same detail that can render fast enough on the Quest and Go.  If that's appealing to enough people we can talk about it!  But in terms of platform expansion we've been aiming at more types of bikes and exercise than VR headsets.

I started with the Rift, but only moved to the Go because the Rift wasn't supported. I think support for the Rift/Rift-S would be fantastic... especially if it didn't create too much extra work for your small team.

I agree, I promised my GO to someone but got a chance to try VZFit right before sending. I was blown away so went out and got a GO JUST for this. I already have a Rift so was disappointing but I did know this going in.

I just picked up a quest yesterday and can't wait to try steering with it vs the GO. I'm sure my neck will appreciate it lol

I completely understand why you've chosen that route. Makes complete sense. Hell, Oculus themselves are throwing all their resources into Quest, there are WAY more Quests/GOs out there over Rifts, so it's definitely what you should be doing.

Now if sales increase to a point you can hire someone to maintain both, AND Oculus continues PC HMD dev (which by the rumors they are working on one right now) that would be awesome.  An increase in graphics/details/textures would be most welcome!
As a Rift owner, I would love to see VZFit supported.  I'm not going to buy another VR headset when everything else seems to support Rift.  Disappointed as I bought the cadence sensor and was ready to jump in this.  It was a surprise why vzfit wouldn't show up in preview apps.   Now I know why.  Sad
(07-08-2020, 05:57 PM)Zeus3k Wrote: As a Rift owner, I would love to see VZFit supported.  I'm not going to buy another VR headset when everything else seems to support Rift.  Disappointed as I bought the cadence sensor and was ready to jump in this.  It was a surprise why vzfit wouldn't show up in preview apps.   Now I know why.  Sad

Yeah...I own the Rift...and it is hard to justify a purchase of the Rift-S or the Quest, when you can still basically do almost everything with the Rift. I do really like the Go however, it is a completely different headset.

I like the fact that the Go is much lighter and less expensive... It is much more comfortable to wear and lay down, lounge around, or even exercise with. After I purchased the Go, I surprisingly found that it got way more use than my Rift. The fact that it it self contained and portable makes it much easier to take to a different room, etc.  For example...when my exercise room I was using during the winter became too hot while biking in the summer, it was easy to just take my exercise bike and Go and move to a room with better insulation and less sun exposure.

I've thrown the Go in a bag when I go on business trips...and when I come back to my hotel room...I've got a home theater waiting for me! One time, I was on a personal trip, and I was staying in an apartment in Hong Kong the size of a closet. The Go made it seem like that room was 3000 square feet! I've used the Go on an airplane... that mixed with Bose noise canceling headphones was heaven when I was trying to sleep! no light or noise pollution! 

Too bad Oculus is discontinuing support of the GO, because, as "VR Light" goes...I actually quite enjoy the Go. I hear rumors Oculus was getting ready to announce a newer lighter version of the Quest, but that was delayed due to COVID-19. I plan to keep using my Go until it dies...but I will be interested to see what the updated Quest might offer.
I've got both a Rift S and a Quest and I have to say I HATE exercising in my Rift S. With all the disgusting non-replaceable foam padding in the Halo strap design it's just a magnet for sweat and can't really be cleaned properly. The original Rift was a lot a better, wipeable replacement interfaces from VR cover made it a great exercise headset but I'd never recommend using the Rift S for long exercise sessions as its really hard to clean the foam in the headstrap after.

I use the Holofit with my Concept 2 rower and for a while I was using Virtual Desktop to play the superior graphic PC Version on my Quest rather than the standard mobile version but now I've just got used to the slightly worse graphics and accept it as a happy trade off for ease of setup and quickness.

I strongly feel the Quest is the best headset for exercise although I understand a lot of people only have a PCVR headset and therefore can't play VZFit at all.

If you have a Quest though I don't think a Rift S version would add much other than a sharper resolution, but at the expense of annoying cables and poor sweat proofing.
(07-12-2020, 11:17 PM)KevinBrook Wrote: I've got both a Rift S and a Quest and I have to say I HATE exercising in my Rift S. With all the disgusting non-replaceable foam padding in the Halo strap design it's just a magnet for sweat and can't really be cleaned properly. The original Rift was a lot a better, wipeable replacement interfaces from VR cover made it a great exercise headset but I'd never recommend using the Rift S for long exercise sessions as its really hard to clean the foam in the headstrap after.

I use the Holofit with my Concept 2 rower and for a while I was using Virtual Desktop to play the superior graphic PC Version on my Quest rather than the standard mobile version but now I've just got used to the slightly worse graphics and accept it as a happy trade off for ease of setup and quickness.

I strongly feel the Quest is the best headset for exercise although I understand a lot of people only have a PCVR headset and therefore can't play VZFit at all.

If you have a Quest though I don't think a Rift S version would add much other than a sharper resolution, but at the expense of annoying cables and poor sweat proofing.

That is good information to know. I don't have a Rift-S so it is good to hear your perspective.
I have a Rift S and have purchased silicone pad covers to deal with sweat. I would like to throw in my vote for the Rift S to be supported.