Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strava Connectivity?
I end up with multiple (>3) strava activities for single rides. Is there a way VZFit can cache these (and concatenate) before syncing? I do not stop my ride but maybe the connection isn't very stable (in my basement)
Could you be using the Oculus Pause feature to take a screenshot or video? That will segment the rides. They should not break up if you are riding consistently without pausing or taking off the headset though.
(10-30-2020, 03:35 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Could you be using the Oculus Pause feature to take  a screenshot or video? That will segment the rides. They should not break up if you are riding consistently without pausing or taking off the headset though.

Yes I often take a short pause to adjust the fan or my bike or drink water. Is there a way to disable that "feature"?
Indeed, I do the same, a manual sync option would be nice. There are third party options that merges Strava activities, but i'm not quite there yet.
We perform this kind of concatenation now with Fitbit activity syncs, but it's been tricky and is all done on our server, whereas we sync Strava directly from the game because of the amount of data.

The problem is we don't know, when you pause VZfit, if you're ever coming back or even killing the game from the pause menu. So we have to send an update then, which shows up in Fitbit or Strava. What we're able to do with Fitbit is monitor subsequent updates on our server, and if they are detected to have started close to the end of a previous update, we delete the previous update on Fitbit servers and resubmit a combined update.

I can see whether it's possible to do the same with Strava in the future, but you might have better luck with third party merging options. We could more easily add a "don't update Strava on pauses" option but you'd then risk losing your data if you didn't switch to another ride or perform some other action to force an update.
(10-30-2020, 01:57 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We perform this kind of concatenation now with Fitbit activity syncs, but it's been tricky and is all done on our server, whereas we sync Strava directly from the game because of the amount of data.

The problem is we don't know, when you pause VZfit, if you're ever coming back or even killing the game from the pause menu.  So we have to send an update then, which shows up in Fitbit or Strava.  What we're able to do with Fitbit is monitor subsequent updates on our server, and if they are detected to have started close to the end of a previous update, we delete the previous update on Fitbit servers and resubmit a combined update.

I can see whether it's possible to do the same with Strava in the future, but you might have better luck with third party merging options.  We could more easily add a "don't update Strava on pauses" option but you'd then risk losing your data if you didn't switch to another ride or perform some other action to force an update.
I am not familiar with the strava interface but it seems like you could cache all of the ride data locally and then have an option when you finish a ride to upload to strava. Similarly if it finds an old ride when you start it could offer to upload or continue.  This would also potentially be nice for the people doing races around america (if the fb group is to be trusted, https://www.facebook.com/groups/vzfit/pe...699884400/) could even have one massive continuous strava activity. Clearly when you switch routes from Grand Canyon to New Zealand you probably wouldn't want those concatenated together.
+1 for upload button, but what if battery dies, what if a lot of things I guess, with local storage. In the end it is probably better to have more data than lost data. The fitbit solution sounds elegant though, and Strava should just get that merge button already
Also adding a few of the snapshots or screenshots along the ride to the strava activity would be nice, manually downloading and them uploading them is a bit tedious at the moment.
(11-11-2020, 10:08 PM)skicavs Wrote: Also adding a few of the snapshots or screenshots along the ride to the strava activity would be nice, manually downloading and them uploading them is a bit tedious at the moment.

We would love to do this , but the Strava API doesn't seem to allow it anymore. Do you know another app that does this?
(11-16-2020, 04:42 PM)Snowpelt Wrote:
(11-11-2020, 10:08 PM)skicavs Wrote: Also adding a few of the snapshots or screenshots along the ride to the strava activity would be nice, manually downloading and them uploading them is a bit tedious at the moment.

We would love to do this , but the Strava API doesn't seem to allow it anymore. Do you know another app that does this?

Zwift still does it?
https://www.strava.com/activities/4102939376
But maybe they pay for special access?