Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart bike
Yes ask the trainer maker if their FTMS support includes resistance control. There are actually a few ways that FTMS can control resistance but we’ve been told by Kinetic that “sim mode” is the most supported so we’ll be using that.
(09-26-2020, 06:51 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Yes ask the trainer maker if their FTMS support includes resistance control. There are actually a few ways that FTMS can control resistance but we’ve been told by Kinetic that “sim mode” is the most supported so we’ll be using that.

Hi Eric, thank you for this important information.

Best Wishes
Daniel
So it looks like the Wahoo Kickr Core now supports FTMS (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/waho...pdate.html) and I just ran the update and connected with Explorer and Play, adjusting the difficulty didn't seem to adjust the resistance at all. Is there something else to do in order to update the resistance?
Nothing on your end to do to activate it, it should just work if the bike supports it. I can agree that looking at the connection on the back end it appears to not have been passing resistance. Will see if we can dig into what's going on here, it's very hard to do without the bike though! Eric may chime in with some more info.
(10-27-2020, 12:35 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Nothing on your end to do to activate it, it should just work if the bike supports it.  I can agree that looking at the connection on the back end it appears to not have been passing resistance. Will see if we can dig into what's going on here, it's very hard to do without the bike though! Eric may chime in with some more info.

Thanks! sounds good, I am fairly familiar with android, ADB and debugging tools (I worked for magic leap for a year) so if there is something I can run on my side let me know.
(10-27-2020, 07:30 AM)skicavs Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 12:35 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Nothing on your end to do to activate it, it should just work if the bike supports it.  I can agree that looking at the connection on the back end it appears to not have been passing resistance. Will see if we can dig into what's going on here, it's very hard to do without the bike though! Eric may chime in with some more info.

Thanks! sounds good, I am fairly familiar with android, ADB and debugging tools (I worked for magic leap for a year) so if there is something I can run on my side let me know.

It's great that you could help like that!  I will soon post an Android test tool that will output details to ADB log about FTMS details.  Beyond having FTMS, it needs to support the "indoor bike data" characteristic, the "fitness machine control point", and the "indoor bike sim" capability for VZfit to control resistance.

UPDATE:

The link to that tool is https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5eeLDx...sp=sharing

This will download a "biketest10.apk" which you can install on an Android 7+ phone or Go/Quest headset via adb or Sidequest.

You can then run it (on headset via Oculus TV) while running "adb logcat -s blueGigaBLE" to see our connection logging.

For successful FTMS resistance control you should see

blueGigaBLE: Connecting to <your device MAC>
blueGigaBLE: Type: FTMS device
blueGigaBLE: Found indoor bike data
blueGigaBLE: Found ftms control point
blueGigaBLE: Requesting ftms control
blueGigaBLE: Granted ftms control
blueGigaBLE: Initializing ftms resistance
blueGigaBLE: Granted ftms resistance
blueGigaBLE: Make: <your device make>
blueGigaBLE: Model: <your device model>

If it gets to make/model without all those, then we won't currently be able to control resistance, but would like to hear where it bails.
I just upgraded to my FTMS bike and went to ride only to find that I was denied access to the app because I was registered to a different sensor. I have sent the support request but this is a bad user experience - a dues paying member ought to be able to switch sensors at least once in a while without support.
(10-29-2020, 03:37 PM)Faye Wrote: I just upgraded to my FTMS bike and went to ride only to find that I was denied access to the app because I was registered to a different sensor. I have sent the support request but this is a bad user experience - a dues paying member ought to be able to switch sensors at least once in a while without support.

Hi Faye, sorry we just haven't had the time to automate that, and you see why we can't just let people change it whenever they want.  Support should get back to you soon.

But fortunately this is all going away with our build next month, where our membership will become tied to your Oculus ID rather than device, which will allow you to play on any compatible device you have instantly.
Faye, what kind of FTMS trainer do you have, did it work? I am looking at exchanging my Kickr Snap for something that has the right FTMS support for the Explorer's resistance control, but I am having a hard time finding a good trainer that is confirmed to do this.
(10-26-2020, 05:25 PM)skicavs Wrote: So it looks like the Wahoo Kickr Core now supports FTMS (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/09/waho...pdate.html) and I just ran the update and connected with Explorer and Play, adjusting the difficulty didn't seem to adjust the resistance at all. Is there something else to do in order to update the resistance?

Incidentally only Explorer had been supporting FTMS resistance control.  We thought it went out in the last Play build but that didn't go out until just now.