Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected Resets (Rant)
(08-18-2020, 11:48 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Explorer isn't supposed to reset like that for short periods when headset is off, only if it's off for more than 30 minutes.  And even then we only reset the "time and spins in session" you don't lose any progress.  Will look into.

Note we store your progress and settings at the following times, both to your headset and our server:

- When the app pauses (which happens when you go to Oculus dashboard or headset sleeps after taking off your head)
- When you change rides
- When you complete a ride
- When you end an open ride
- When you Logout from More menu
- When you Exit from More menu
- When you Launch Play from More menu
- When the headset is about to shutdown from running out of battery (requires intercepting a low-level system message, nobody on the dev forums had done it before us!)

I've had progress NOT being stored. Just yesterday (Aug 22, 2020), I did the VRFS: Shimanami Kaido - Japan ride of 48.2 miles, took a 10 minute or so pit stop break just over halfway through, going to the Oculus dashboard to pause, and then carried on to finish the ride. I expected vzfit to reset the spins and it did. However, my stats for the day only reflect around half the ride (likely the second part), although it shows I completed the ride. Love your stats pages, but not sure what happened there.
We’ll check it out thanks for providing details. You’re saying that spins from the first half are missing from your total?
(08-24-2020, 10:51 AM)emalafeew Wrote: We’ll check it out thanks for providing details. You’re saying that spins from the first half are missing from your total?

I would think it's the first half as I was able to close the app on the second half which should have prompted it to upload the stats, although I did go to the oculus menu the first time. 

The ride on Aug 22, 2020 was VRFS: Shimanami Kaido - Japan of 48.2 miles which I completed in the one day with just one break of around 10 minutes. The ride continued normally after the break. The usage page for the day shows only 3078 spins. My rule of thumb calculations makes that around 23 miles. 

It happened again yesterday, Aug 24th, on the VRFS: Bealach na Bà - Scotland ride of 45.9 miles which I completed in the one session. I had two interruptions. One I went to the oculus menu to pause and the other I didn't. In both cases, Oculus lost tracking and I had to reboot. The usage page only shows 3679 spins or approx 28 miles. 

I use the rough measurement that 1 mile = 130 spins. Do you have a better number?

thanks,
Laurel

Seems to have done it again today as well. Low number of spins for what shows as 44 miles on my bike (which is consistent with the ride minus a few minor jumps).
(08-22-2020, 02:59 PM)emalafeew Wrote: I've been trying it myself a bunch now, and it seems like Oculus behavior is different when sleeping more for than a few seconds.  After sleeping for around a minute or so, it often has to reobtain tracking and sometimes dumps me to the Oculus menu.  This is true for any game not just VZfit.  After it brings me back to VZfit its internal orientation has been reset so there's no getting around needing to recenter.

So with all of this in mind, I think increasing your headset sleep time to 15 minutes is still the best solution.

Yup... resetting the sleep to 15 minutes certainly seems to have done the trick! I agree... It did that for other games/apps too... I just didn't notice because it wasn't as important to me to "Stay connected".  Smile

Thank you for your assistance!
(08-25-2020, 04:16 PM)laurel Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 10:51 AM)emalafeew Wrote: We’ll check it out thanks for providing details. You’re saying that spins from the first half are missing from your total?

I would think it's the first half as I was able to close the app on the second half which should have prompted it to upload the stats, although I did go to the oculus menu the first time. 

The ride on Aug 22, 2020 was VRFS: Shimanami Kaido - Japan of 48.2 miles which I completed in the one day with just one break of around 10 minutes. The ride continued normally after the break. The usage page for the day shows only 3078 spins. My rule of thumb calculations makes that around 23 miles. 

It happened again yesterday, Aug 24th, on the VRFS: Bealach na Bà - Scotland ride of 45.9 miles which I completed in the one session. I had two interruptions. One I went to the oculus menu to pause and the other I didn't. In both cases, Oculus lost tracking and I had to reboot. The usage page only shows 3679 spins or approx 28 miles. 

I use the rough measurement that 1 mile = 130 spins. Do you have a better number?

thanks,
Laurel

Seems to have done it again today as well. Low number of spins for what shows as 44 miles on my bike (which is consistent with the ride minus a few minor jumps).

I'll be looking at this in detail tomorrow to get to the bottom.  Thanks for the detailed reports.  

There's no perfect spins per mile number because difficulty, hills, and speed clamping can all affect that ratio.  But if you kept under the max speed on perfectly flat ground with difficulty 5, each mile would take about 240 spins.