Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spin Bike vs Upright Bike for VZFit
I'm debating between a spin bike and an upright exercise bike. Though I've ridden a bicycle, I'm not a rider. I'm buying primarily for use with VZFit. 

It seems spin bikes engage more of your body and feel more like a real bike. However, it seems HUD placement within VZFit games is tuned for an upright bike, thus making it more comfortable to look around within games (and to steer?).

Any comments on this issue appreciated. At the very least would like to verify the I've correctly identified the trade-off between spin and upright bikes.

Thanks.

It seems the the heavier flywheel typical of spin bikes provides a smoother/better/more realistic experience...
If you are new to riding and not even sure you would like it...there is nothing wrong with going with the cheaper option or even going with something second hand...and just making sure you have the right 3rd party sensor for it.

I started with this one and rode it for thousands of miles and many hours a day:
https://www.amazon.com/Bicicleta-vertica...198&sr=8-3

There are many pros and cons... comfort being subjective. Like yes... more comfort sitting...more comfortable for my back... more comfort looking around... but less comfort pedaling or getting the right "fit" for the rider..less comfort for longer riding.

Just this last week I ended up upgrading to a third type of product that you didn't mention... a bike trainer:
https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bik...ke-trainer

This device mounts to an existing bike. It feels more like riding a real bike because...well... I am on a real bike! Smile It is infinitely adjustable so I can fine tune the fit...the angle of the seat, etc. I am getting a much better workout, because the trainer takes into account my actual speed and how hard I am pedaling... not just how fast my pedals are spinning.
Most people find Play's games more comfortable on an upright or recumbent bike because they encourage you to look at horizon level, and spin bikes and trainers angle your head down. Those games also expect you to be able to increase and decrease your pedaling speeds, and spin bikes and trainers have more momentum.

But people also find that Explorer and Play's cycling games can feel more realistic on spin bikes and trainers, for the same reasons. So we'd say it comes down to which kind of games you prefer in VZfit. Note we have an option to lower our HUD for people to use with spin bikes and trainers.
Thank you, Shon_T, and emalafeew!