Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to edit rides for Explorer?
Had a terminal slide-out this morning at the start of the Atigun Pass in my 500 mile Prudhoe Bay to Fairbanks Alaska ride in Explorer. I was trapped in a major slide-out and eventually couldn't go forward or backwards. Coordinates where I came to rest: 68.13101,-149.43982. 

Remapped it starting about half a mile further on (best I can tell) and continued riding with several lesser slide-outs, thankfully each only lasting seconds, until things seemed to stabilize once I was off the pass. 

What causes this problem? I'd experienced minor slide-outs before but nothing to worry about. This area of the ride is quite twisting with large changes in elevation - is this a factor? 

Is there an editing tool that would let us review this and make corrections? Google My Maps shows no problems with the route that I can see. I'd love to share the whole ride.

This is Google My Maps generated route. 

I'm not using autosteer and am in Country view.

Enjoying this soooo much! Thanks.
A small addition here: just checked this location in Wander and the blue dots act strangely and the arrows too. Looks like Google Maps isn't happy. Still, is there something we can edit so our white balls behave well regardless... overriding Google. :-)
(07-23-2020, 11:08 PM)laurel Wrote: A small addition here: just checked this location in Wander and the blue dots act strangely and the arrows too. Looks like Google Maps isn't happy. Still, is there something we can edit so our white balls behave well regardless... overriding Google. :-)

Hi Laurel, your directions created in My Maps will also appear in your google.com/maps -> Menu -> Your Places -> Maps.

Select it there and click the "person" icon at the bottom right of the map to show blue lines where Google captured Streetview images.  If your directions aren't entirely covered by blue lines you will "skip ahead" when you get to those sections.  Our white dots represent each of those images, so if there are no dots it means we don't have imagery to show there!

If you want a more continuous ride, check that before you upload the KML after adjusting your routes to match the blue lines.  Good luck!
Thanks - interesting explanation of the white dots! Had no idea.

I did check that section of the route and it's fully covered by the blue lines, although with a jog around where I went bad, at least from just eyeballing it. That the Wander program had a problem with it as well, says it's likely in the data from Google. In Explorer, you can see where the dots leave the road in places.

I'll upload just that section in Explorer and give it a try. I don't mind the sliding, but I was stuck unable to move. Let's see if I can reproduce it in a short section. Thanks for the quick reply.
Im also happy to take a look myself. Sometimes the data provided can be off too. Can you indicate the “percent complete” or lat/Lon along your path where the problems are obvious? Note to get lat/Lon, wait on the pause screen for 5 seconds and the location will switch to that.
Here's where the dots ended on the short segment of the ride I uploaded:  laurel's wipeout section. It's 35% into the ride. 

This time I noticed the white dots continuing far to the right in the background. I was able to turn sharply towards them and regained the road again. So, survivable now I know what to do. 

Thanks!

Hey Laurel,
Can you try this again and see if the dots continue? We just made a quick change on the backend.