Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shon_t's Unknown Ride 7 (Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch to South Rim via South Kaibab)
Map
Distance: 11.7 miles

Description: An incredibly picturesque route, from Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Canyon to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon Via the South Kaibab Trail. The first 6 or 7 miles is almost straight up the canyon. There is about 2-3 miles on the rim trail, followed by some really spotty road driving over the last couple of miles that takes you to the visitor center. This route was filmed using Google backpack Cameras. The high def cameras are great, the route finding NOT SO MUCH! This is an incredibly challenging ride, due to navigational issues...but it is still worth sharing due to the spectacular scenery!

PLEASE NOTE: This ride IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS or those prone to motion sickness! The following settings are recommended for this route:

1. Ride the route IN REVERSE! If you ride the route from the top of the Canyon you may get stuck!
2. Comfort mode is a must! This route is twisty and turns frequently... motion sickness is a strong possibility.
3. AUTO Steering should be TURNED OFF! Lean to Steer should be turned on.
4. Route finding should be TURNED ON! You need to see the white dots...it is a MUST.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU GET STUCK?

I completed this route so I know it is possible...that said...there were a couple of sections (2 or 3) that I got caught up on. 
1. Lean to steer and try to stay on the path ahead of you. Even if the dots don't seem to align with the path..try to follow it. 
2. There are many switchbacks. Anticipate where the path is taking you and turn in that direction even though you have yet to reach the turn.
3. The path always goes UP. It doesn't go down. Thing is...you might end up turning around to follow dots (looking downhill), but will still go up hill).
4. If you get caught in a loop, turn on "country mode" and ride towards the closest dots until you clear the area and start progressing forward. Switch back to comfort mode once you are progressing forward again.

If you are willing to put up with the navigational issues, this is an amazing ride!