Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TERRIBLE performance of TUNAI button + CooSpo sensor
Sad 
I wanted to use VZFit on my Quest. Since the official sensor kit is no longer available (why?), I bought a cadence sensor and a media button for VZFit myself. To be sure that they would be compatible, I went with the devices listed at the top of the compatible devices: The TUNAI media button and the CooSpo cadence sensor. Pairing the devices was already rather painful since it didn't work with the Oculus app, but I was able to eventually do it from within the Quest headset via the "experimental" settings. The cadence sensor also took a long time to get working, after restarting the headset at some point it was able to connect. Ok. 

I can change the volume with the TUNAI button reliably, so its connection definitely works. But the performance inside VZPlay/Explore is awful! The "A" button takes forever to react! When I keep mashing it for several seconds, at some point it actually triggers and resets the view, but it's completely unplayable! And yes, I did try pairing the button with my phone and it works there, it's not a hardware issue with the button. So I don't know why you guys wrote on the list that it "worked great in testing", because it performs terribly!

I'm also not happy with the performance of the CooSpo sensor, which you listed as the official partner so I hoped that it would be the best I could get. There is a delay of several seconds between me starting to pedal and the game reacting to it, and the RPM inside the game are very loosely connected to my actual pedaling speed! Sometimes it speeds up or slows down for no apparent reason, making it impossible to do challenges like "keep above x km/h". It also breaks the immersion and I don't feel encouraged to do sprints since they are not registered. 

I don't know why I don't see anyone else having these problems, apparently everything works fine for other people? Is something wrong with the Bluetooth in my Quest? It seems to me like the issues with the button and the sensor are related, is Bluetooth just losing packets all the time? That could explain why the button is unreliable and why the cadence sensor just misses beats.

Did anyone else have issues like this? Did they get it to work? Because like this it's just not fun and I'll cancel my subscription...

https://www.virzoom.com/compatible-devices/
Hi,

I think I can answer both of these for you and thankfully neither should be related to the Bluetooth on your Quest.

Let's start with the TUNAI button. We learned recently that the TUNAI button is sending up/down key presses at the same time and we aren't handling those well. But we have fixed it and are releasing an update today. So please be on the lookout for that shortly. Apologies to anyone who has been struggling with a TUNAI.

As for the CooSpo sensor, it sounds like you may have it in Speed mode instead of Cadence mode. I'm assuming that you have it attached to your pedal crank, so it would need to be in Cadence mode for that. I don't know if you still have the instructions for the CooSpo, but basically you change the mode for it by reinserting the battery. There is an LED light that indicates which mode it is in. If it's in Speed mode, that would only work when attached to the hub of a real bike. Essentially the mode changes alter the axis on which motion is tracked.

This won't help with startup/slowdown delay, which averages about 2 seconds on the CooSpo. That's about as good as you'll see with any third party cadence sensor that we've tested.

I'll copy this answer over to your open support ticket as well, but if this solves the problem for you I'd appreciate it if you reply here to confirm for others.

Thanks!
Jason
Hi!

Thank you for the quick reply! Ok, I'm going to hold out for the update and see what happens. Concerning the sensor: I checked and it was in cadence mode. However, due to how the bike I'm using is built, I had to mount the sensor close to the axle, so maybe that was messing with it? I'm going to see if I can mount it further out to where the pedals are somehow... I'll come back to you after testing the update!

Best,
Alex
(05-21-2020, 07:17 PM)atrettin Wrote: Hi!

Thank you for the quick reply! Ok, I'm going to hold out for the update and see what happens. Concerning the sensor: I checked and it was in cadence mode. However, due to how the bike I'm using is built, I had to mount the sensor close to the axle, so maybe that was messing with it? I'm going to see if I can mount it further out to where the pedals are somehow... I'll come back to you after testing the update!

Best,
Alex

Alex,
What model bike are you using? The sensor should be on the crank arm like this

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-21-2020, 07:44 PM)Snowpelt Wrote:
(05-21-2020, 07:17 PM)atrettin Wrote: Hi!

Best,
Alex

Alex,
What model bike are you using? The sensor should be on the crank arm like this

It's an ancient bike that my neighbors hadn't been using in literal 17 years lol ... so the problem is that, when I put it closer to the pedal facing out, I keep hitting it with my foot, and when I have it facing in like in the picture you posted, it keeps scratching on the chassis on the bike, unless I push it down all the way to the axle, which is where I had it. So it still turns the right way, but it's only doing a very small circle because its radius from the axle is so small. Now, that shouldn't make a difference if the sensor internally uses a gyroscope because the angular velocity is still the same, but I don't exactly know what it's doing... When the update with the TUNAI button fix is out (didn't see an update yet, but it should come automatically, right?), I'll also try again if I can do something to fix the sensor position problem as well, then I'll come back.

Best,
Alex
Hi Alex,

I'm going to message you via support regarding the TUNAI. As for the sensor, I don't know the exact method that CooSpo is using, but would expect the radius to not matter as you said. But if the position of it is changing while you're riding and it gets off-axis then I would definitely expect bad data from it as a result. Can you try it for a bit facing out but exaggerate your foot position to make sure you don't hit it? Just to confirm that it's functioning properly otherwise?

Thanks,
Jason
Photo 
(05-21-2020, 10:54 PM)jwarburg Wrote: Hi Alex,

I'm going to message you via support regarding the TUNAI.  As for the sensor, I don't know the exact method that CooSpo is using, but would expect the radius to not matter as you said.  But if the position of it is changing while you're riding and it gets off-axis then I would definitely expect bad data from it as a result.  Can you try it for a bit facing out but exaggerate your foot position to make sure you don't hit it?  Just to confirm that it's functioning properly otherwise?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason!

okay, the update came in, and I tested mounting the sensor farther away from the axle. I attached a picture of where I have it now vs. where I had it before. Indeed, the sensor is much more reliable when it is mounted farther from the axle, suggesting that they need the radial acceleration somehow. What a silly design choice, if you ask me! There is still a delay between pedaling and the game, but at least it's reliable, meaning that I can actually do sprints now!

The button also works, but you can't hold the A button down. I can reliably re-center the view and use the game HUD, but most games unfortunately still don't work. At least the bike races and the explorer are playable now, which is already nice!

Maybe there is something you can do in software to enable button holding? I hope the TUNAI button sends a signal upon release of a button as well, otherwise I'd imagine that you can't really do anything about it...

Best,
Alex

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update. Did you see my response to you via support about the button?
(05-22-2020, 05:46 PM)jwarburg Wrote: Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update.  Did you see my response to you via support about the button?

No, I didn't get an email... though I do get emails about posts in this forum, so the address works?
I also bought the tunai button as it was recommended given my origional satechi A button physically broke off from use. I got it to connect on experimental settings but it would turn the game off after trying to recenter. Not sure what to do now.