Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDK Feedback
We are trying to learn/work with the SDK. Specifically, we need to get a first person with and remove the HUD from rider view. Additionally, we need to adjust the Speedfudge.

Has anyone tried this in the SDK?
Sorry for the delay! If you are starting with the test scene that comes with the SDK, the HUD is the BikeTest object under VZPlayer, which you can deactivate or delete to remove. The Speedfudge parameter is on the VZPlayer object. If you also want to remove the avatar, it's the VZ_Bikecontroller object under VZPlayer, though we recommend you keep some kind of avatar or object in the scene because it helps guide the player's head to navigate turns.
Is there anyone who could help us put together a fairly basic set of scenes? the requirements are attached and I am trying to work on it, but I imagine this would not be that hard to put together for someone with some experience. We can pay a bit for the project, the requirements are attached.

This is for a student research project at Gonzaga University and we would really like to make this project happen, but we are on a short timeline.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Attached Files
.docx   Requirements for VR protocols.docx (Size: 13.09 KB / Downloads: 3)
Video 
I am by no means a developer. But, I love my Oculus Go, and I love my VZfit.

I wanted to see how easy it would be to take some free unity assets and move around inside them with the VZfit SDK.

I was motivated by robkay's post.

This was actually easier for me to do, than any of Oculus Sample scenes. Trying to learn unity I made many sample apps, but couldn't figure out how to free move, or teleport in them. But, with the VZfit SKD, it was easy peasy.

I forgot to ask this bit:
When in Unity, if I want to demo it, I can use the keyboard, right? Spacebar pedals, and the A and D keys should lean left and right to steer the bike? Well, my camera leans, but it doesn't actually steer the bike (works fine when I load apk on my Oculus Go though). I'd like to be able to steer when in unity. Am I missing something?
(03-25-2019, 12:20 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Let us know what you've done with the VZfit SDK here!

It's the same core code used by VZfit Play and Explorer, so we're happy to describe how those work.

So, I am in no way, shape, or form an artist or developer; but with about $15 worth of assets from the Unity store (and a bunch of free ones) I am starting to put together some cool stuff.

I decided to post a video of what I have done so far - this is the first "from scratch" attempt, and mostly a learning exercise, but it's been a lot of fun.

Things I need to work on:

- positioning the camera better so the avatar looks better and you don't "pass through" it so much
- better control of diving
- adding some "stuff to do" instead of just swimming around
- work on scenery

plus probably a lot more.

ANYWAY thank you again for all your help getting to this point.   I present to you, SharkDemo v0.2 for Oculus Quest! Smile

https://youtu.be/9_MX6PVP2xk
(03-15-2020, 03:32 AM)Stain2319 Wrote: I decided to post a video of what I have done so far - this is the first "from scratch" attempt, and mostly a learning exercise, but it's been a lot of fun.

ANYWAY thank you again for all your help getting to this point.   I present to you, SharkDemo v0.2 for Oculus Quest! Smile

I'm floored, this is great!  We haven't tried the wavy distortion effect in VR yet, how's it feel?

As for the viewpoint, you can raise it from VZPlayer origin by setting VZPlayer.NeckHeight.  The advantage of doing that as opposed to moving the VZPlayer origin is the view will stay directly above the shark even as it pitches or rolls, as if you were riding on it and keeping your body vertical.

For gameplay, have you ever played Feeding Frenzy?  

It would be easiest for you to make a large area with walls, but if you're wondering how to keep the terrain going infinitely, there are a few approaches.  One is to procedurally generate new terrain/objects in front of you, and also destroy them behind you, at a distance the player doesn't notice.  Two is to pre-author "tiles" of terrain/objects, that you can generate in front and destroy behind in the same way.  A third is to pre-author one main area, surrounded by smaller buffer areas that are identical from the each other opposite the main area.  When the player enters a buffer area you can then teleport them instantly to the opposite buffer area.

Our Jailbreak and cycling games use the second approach.  Both the first and second ways require you to do an additional thing: when the player's position values become large enough, their floating point precision errors will cause things in the scene to shake worse and worse.  To keep that from happening we set a threshold around 2500 meters and teleport the player and the entire scene back to the origin at that point.
(10-01-2019, 03:18 AM)Conant Wrote: Is there anyone who could help us put together a fairly basic set of scenes? the requirements are attached and I am trying to work on it, but I imagine this would not be that hard to put together for someone with some experience. We can pay a bit for the project, the requirements are attached.

This is for a student research project at Gonzaga University and we would really like to make this project happen, but we are on a short timeline.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Hi Conant, just curious when you specify continuous speeds in each section, are you saying you want to encourage the player to hit those speeds, or take control from the player and move at those speeds?
(11-01-2019, 02:50 AM)mrphilipjoel Wrote: I forgot to ask this bit:
When in Unity, if I want to demo it, I can use the keyboard, right? Spacebar pedals, and the A and D keys should lean left and right to steer the bike? Well, my camera leans, but it doesn't actually steer the bike (works fine when I load apk on my Oculus Go though). I'd like to be able to steer when in unity. Am I missing something?

Hi Philip, nice work!  

The reason your bike isn't turning while playing in the Unity editor is that you must also "look" in the direction you are steering.  If you only steer, your vehicle velocity direction will change up to a point, but your VR reference frame won't start turning until you also look that way.  The reason you need to look and steer to turn is that is how we prevent motion sickness in VR.  

You can use the arrow keys to "look" while testing without a headset, but it's far more natural if you have a Quest in Link mode or another PC headset.
(03-16-2020, 01:43 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(03-15-2020, 03:32 AM)Stain2319 Wrote: I decided to post a video of what I have done so far - this is the first "from scratch" attempt, and mostly a learning exercise, but it's been a lot of fun.

I'm floored, this is great!  We haven't tried the wavy distortion effect in VR yet, how's it feel?

As for the viewpoint, you can raise it from VZPlayer origin by setting VZPlayer.NeckHeight.  The advantage of doing that as opposed to moving the VZPlayer origin is the view will stay directly above the shark even as it pitches or rolls, as if you were riding on it and keeping your body vertical.

For gameplay, have you ever played Feeding Frenzy?  

It would be easiest for you to make a large area with walls, but if you're wondering how to keep the terrain going infinitely, there are a few approaches.  One is to procedurally generate new terrain/objects in front of you, and also destroy them behind you, at a distance the player doesn't notice.  Two is to pre-author "tiles" of terrain/objects, that you can generate in front and destroy behind in the same way.  A third is to pre-author one main area, surrounded by smaller buffer areas that are identical from the each other opposite the main area.  When the player enters a buffer area you can then teleport them instantly to the opposite buffer area.

Our Jailbreak and cycling games use the second approach.  Both the first and second ways require you to do an additional thing: when the player's position values become large enough, their floating point precision errors will cause things in the scene to shake worse and worse.  To keep that from happening we set a threshold around 2500 meters and teleport the player and the entire scene back to the origin at that point.

Thanks! I have not played or heard of Feeding Frenzy but I'm going to google it right now!

The wavy distortion is really not bad at all. I'm fairly immune to VR sickness though, so others might find it less comfortable but I found that with it turned down to a mild level it's pretty immersive.

Thanks for the level building advice. I also invested in Playmaker last night and am looking forward to playing with that more.... So far I'm loving it.

I made a larger and more interesting environment this morning and when I have time later I'm going to throw my shark in there and tweak it a little and then I'll post another video of my progress. If and when I ever get a playable game going I'll post it somewhere for folks to try if they want.

Ok, just watched some video of Feeding Frenzy , very similar to what I had in mind in terms of a game mechanic. Thanks for that!