Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explorer won’t accept location requests
Every time I try to enter a location (ie ‘New York City’) the app responds that there is no information for that location. What’s the secret to making this function work?
The easiest solution I have come up with, is to find a street that has Google Street view that you want to start riding on. Click on a specific location on the street to bring up the GPS coordinates.

For example these coordinates will put you on the Brooklyn Bridge, headed into Manhattan: 40.703577, -73.993567 (copy and past into Google maps if you want to see the exact point on the map).

Enter those coordinates into the headset for the start of your ride. for an "open ride" you can just enter those coordinates, skip the ending coordinates and start your ride.

If you want your ride to end at a certain location, you can specify the ending coordinates too. You can tell the headset to "avoid highways" so you don't just end up on the freeway while you are riding.

Protip: I've found it much easier to use the controller from my headset to enter the coordinates. Once you get used to coordinates, you may find that they are much easier to enter than an address. This is especially helpful, if you are like me and riding in countries like Japan or Russia, that do not use a Latin alphabet. If you see an interesting point on your ride, but are not sure what you are looking at...you can use the pause menu (compass), and on the pause menu, coordinates will flash on the bottom of the screen. Entering those coordinates on the Google maps app on your phone will let you see exactly where you are at.
The location "name" based searches can be hit or miss, and sometimes drop you in a building. Coordinates work well, or just grabbing an address. So for New York City- Manhattan, NY works
We also know it would be great to see a 2D map in game with Streetview roads highlighted. It won't be in next release but is high on the list
(04-21-2020, 08:23 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We also know it would be great to see a 2D map in game with Streetview roads highlighted.  It won't be in next release but is high on the list

How were you envisioning this? 

Could it be a virtual screen or device  mounted on the handle bars of the bike?

I know Oculus allows "windowed" screens with apps for internet browsing or Netflix watching. I can't imagine that working on the GO...but I do imagine something like that maybe being available on the Quest. It might sound counter intuitive to be watching a video while riding through a virtual environment...but it could be another activity beyond listening to podcasts or music, especially on long through rides...that could help keep the mind occupied.
(04-21-2020, 08:41 PM)Shon_T Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:23 PM)emalafeew Wrote: We also know it would be great to see a 2D map in game with Streetview roads highlighted.  It won't be in next release but is high on the list

I know Oculus allows "windowed" screens with apps for internet browsing or Netflix watching. I can't imagine that working on the GO...but I do imagine something like that maybe being available on the Quest. It might sound counter intuitive to be watching a video while riding through a virtual environment...but it could be another activity beyond listening to podcasts or music, especially on long through rides...that could help keep the mind occupied.

I was purely thinking as another way to select ride locations from our menus.  Not video, just like zooming around google maps to find where you want to start and end.
(04-21-2020, 09:46 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:41 PM)Shon_T Wrote:

I was purely thinking as another way to select ride locations from our menus.  Not video, just like zooming around google maps to find where you want to start and end.

That would be cool too. Smile