Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Uploading Issue
(04-07-2020, 11:39 PM)Snowpelt Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 09:26 PM)JSTEGEMAN Wrote: I just got a request from Google to make my map link shared instead of private.  I think it should be viewable to the public now.

Jstegman, I just uploaded and tested your ride. The first 100 feet are so are a bit rough to follow the road. Really narrow and seems like some iffy street view data, but it uploaded fine.  When exporting make sure it looks like this:

Thank you Snowpelt!  I'll give it a try again.  I'm fairly sure that I checked the option to "Export as KML..." on the first attempt.  I'll see if I can knock out the first bit of narrow roads too.
(04-08-2020, 12:15 PM)JSTEGEMAN Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 11:39 PM)Snowpelt Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 09:26 PM)JSTEGEMAN Wrote: I just got a request from Google to make my map link shared instead of private.  I think it should be viewable to the public now.

Jstegman, I just uploaded and tested your ride. The first 100 feet are so are a bit rough to follow the road. Really narrow and seems like some iffy street view data, but it uploaded fine.  When exporting make sure it looks like this:

Thank you Snowpelt!  I'll give it a try again.  I'm fairly sure that I checked the option to "Export as KML..." on the first attempt.  I'll see if I can knock out the first bit of narrow roads too.
Make sure your only exporting the Layer that has the name of the route as well. Not the Whole Map. Smile
(04-08-2020, 05:13 AM)spyder17 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 12:12 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Awesome glad to hear it! I am probably going to make a little tutorial video on this soon, a bunch of people get hung up on it.

BTY, is there a limit as to the distance that the routes that we create?  I was trying to do one across the US and it gave me a message about being too long?

I created one 5500 miles (From Eastern Russia to Moscow). Didn't have a problem. I posted a video of the start of this route on the Facebook Page. 

One Caveat: I was originally trying to create a route 8500 miles long. It wouldn't work. I think what I determined (with help from Snowpelt) is that the route was attempting to go through an area not covered by Google Street View. The AI does not automatically route around areas that lack Google Street View. I just got an error saying "oops...this route is not available." 

Rather than drawing and importing my own maps...I will liking continue creating smaller point to point routes within the headset, that I know will go through Google street view areas. If I have to, I can import routes as a last resort.
(04-08-2020, 08:45 PM)Shon_T Wrote: I created one 5500 miles (From Eastern Russia to Moscow). Didn't have a problem. I posted a video of the start of this route on the Facebook Page. 

One Caveat: I was originally trying to create a route 8500 miles long. It wouldn't work. I think what I determined (with help from Snowpelt) is that the route was attempting to go through an area not covered by Google Street View. The AI does not automatically route around areas that lack Google Street View. I just got an error saying "oops...this route is not available." 

Rather than drawing and importing my own maps...I will liking continue creating smaller point to point routes within the headset, that I know will go through Google street view areas. If I have to, I can import routes as a last resort.

Hi Shon,

Explorer will jump you over areas not covered by Street View. But the very beginning at least must be covered, which is why you see the "route is not available" when trying to start somewhere that doesn't. Once you are in a ride Explorer should take you through all the areas covered by Street View. Note your end point must also be covered by Street View if you want to be able to finish it!
(04-09-2020, 04:06 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 08:45 PM)Shon_T Wrote: I created one 5500 miles (From Eastern Russia to Moscow). Didn't have a problem. I posted a video of the start of this route on the Facebook Page. 

Hi Shon,

Explorer will jump you over areas not covered by Street View.  But the very beginning at least must be covered, which is why you see the "route is not available" when trying to start somewhere that doesn't.  Once you are in a ride Explorer should take you through all the areas covered by Street View.  Note your end point must also be covered by Street View if you want to be able to finish it!

Hmm... Then end of my route appeared to be covered by Google street view, but upon further inspection it appears that the last portion was from a personal 360 camera. 37.023239, -8.995777. When I actually tried to simulate the last few seconds of the ride on my PC...it stops just short of my goal. That may have been part of the problem.

My entire route when through Belarus and Germany, which are not covered by Google Street View. Are you saying that if I correctly picked an endpoint covered by Google Street view, I would have just skipped through Belarus and Germany, and continued on the other side? 

I just want to make sure I understand as I will need to proceed carefully with planning further routes.

Thanks.
(04-09-2020, 07:40 PM)Shon_T Wrote: Hmm... Then end of my route appeared to be covered by Google street view, but upon further inspection it appears that the last portion was from a personal 360 camera. 37.023239, -8.995777. When I actually tried to simulate the last few seconds of the ride on my PC...it stops just short of my goal. That may have been part of the problem.

My entire route when through Belarus and Germany, which are not covered by Google Street View. Are you saying that if I correctly picked an endpoint covered by Google Street view, I would have just skipped through Belarus and Germany, and continued on the other side? 

I just want to make sure I understand as I will need to proceed carefully with planning further routes.

Thanks.

Yes, Explorer doesn't consider personal 360 cameras, and yes if you put an endpoint on the other side of Germany it _should_ jump there.

We've tested with several mile jumps but not over a whole country. We check in small increments than increase to a maximum of 2 km, so will take a lot of queries but should work unless it chokes Google.