Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oculus Go Crashing...
(04-09-2020, 02:59 AM)Shon_T Wrote: The headset crashed multiple times...but it had to do with the map trying to jump to a google street view point that just wasn't there...

There shouldn't be any crashes related to missing Street View data. I'd very much like to reproduce if you can tell me the ride name and lat/lon or percent before that happened!
(04-09-2020, 04:09 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 02:59 AM)Shon_T Wrote: The headset crashed multiple times...but it had to do with the map trying to jump to a google street view point that just wasn't there...

There shouldn't be any crashes related to missing Street View data.  I'd very much like to reproduce if you can tell me the ride name and lat/lon or percent before that happened!

48.477067, 135.051594
I was attempting to go closer to the "Church of the Innocent" to the southwest. There appears to be a road on the map...but Google Street View just shows that it is partially accessible. I didn't look at this closely when I was planning my ride. While I was riding, their was a white bubble ahead of me,  showing I could get closer, but when I rode into it...the screen  notice said "Jumping to next area", but it just went to black, with no ability to back out.

This was an "app" crash, I was able to close the app and restart it. It was not like the crash that I mentioned above that was a "hard crash" that caused me to have to reboot my entire headset.
Just reporting back...I haven't experience a crash after switching to mono visual mode. I've had several 3+ hour rides now without incident.
(04-11-2020, 08:30 PM)Shon_T Wrote: Just reporting back...I haven't experience a crash after switching to mono visual mode. I've had several 3+ hour rides now without incident.

Thanks.  The upcoming build will feature a warning when switching off mono, and it is still the default on the Go.  If we hear more incidents of overheating or poor framerate may have to disable it again.
Had another "hard crash" today. I set my headset down to run an errand. When I came back a few minutes later the headset was still on Explore, but was unresponsive. It showed a "window" view, where just the picture in front is available to view, everything else is black.

I had been riding less than an hour. Roughly 50min. I lost about six miles of progress or roughly 4k spins once the headset had restarted.
Happened again, under similar circumstances. I am still using "mono" mode.

(04-17-2020, 09:29 PM)Shon_T Wrote: Happened again, under similar circumstances. I am still using "mono" mode.

Second time I didn't lose any progress...picked up where it froze at.
(04-17-2020, 07:30 PM)Shon_T Wrote: Had another "hard crash" today. I set my headset down to run an errand. When I came back a few minutes later the headset was still on Explore, but was unresponsive. It showed a "window" view, where just the picture in front is available to view, everything else is black.

I had been riding less than an hour. Roughly 50min. I lost about six miles of progress or roughly 4k spins once the headset had restarted.

Thanks Shon. It doesn't show up in our crash logs. Can you remind me, do you ride with the Go plugged in to keep up battery, and do you ride with a fan to cool yourself and the Go?
(04-21-2020, 07:58 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 07:30 PM)Shon_T Wrote: Had another "hard crash" today. I set my headset down to run an errand. When I came back a few minutes later the headset was still on Explore, but was unresponsive. It showed a "window" view, where just the picture in front is available to view, everything else is black.

Thanks Shon. It doesn't show up in our crash logs. Can you remind me, do you ride with the Go plugged in to keep up battery, and do you ride with a fan to cool yourself and the Go?
Yes to both.  My headset is always plugged in (i stopped unplugging it and keeping it with me during breaks in sessions, thinking that might help avoid crashes)...always showing 100% before and after the ride. The headset does not even get warm during the ride when I start at 100% charge.

Here is another incident that was not a crash:

On Saturday, close to the end of my ride...I set down my headset to quickly wipe my brow. It was literally off my face for no more than 20 seconds.  I did not have the headset on the pause menu. When I put it back on, the headset had completely turned off and the clock and spins were reset. I didn't lose any progress and just continued my ride.

I find the behavior of the headset to be somewhat unpredictable. I can set it down (on pause menu) and come back a few minutes later and find:
  • The headset is still powered on, clock is still moving forward.
  • The headset is powered off, but when turned on the app is on the pause menu..the clock is still moving forward.
  • the headset is powered off. When turned on, the app is powered off and a new session must be started.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason. Any of the above could happen whether I set the headset down in the same place and under the same conditions for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. I can take the headset off my face briefly to wipe my brow and it will stay on...or it will shut off at random. The only way to keep it on, is obviously to keep my finger over the sensor. I wouldn't mind if the headset shuts off...I just face a bit of trepidation in turning it on again, and finding that my session has reset.