Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thumb controller not responding
Have had VirZoom 10 days. Love it.  I have not gotten past the tank and helicopter.  So much fun.  Thumb controller stopped working during my work out.  I have replaced the battery, restarted Oculus. Nothing is working.  Any suggestions?
Un-pair the controller from bluetooth and re-pair it, that often helps.
(03-19-2020, 03:18 PM)Stain2319 Wrote: Un-pair the controller from bluetooth and re-pair it, that often helps.

I give that another try.  To be honest, I'm freaking out that it might be broken.  That's how much I love this thing.
If it's broken these guys will probably take care of you, but I hope it isn't!
I'm not that happy with the controller to be honest. It constantly stops working during my rides, I can only assume the reason is preservation of battery life. If I need to pause or enter the menu to change from Country view to comfort mode, or city mode... I find myself needing to turn on the controller and wait for it to re-pair itself. Even the few second delay can be aggravating. It works fine for VZFit Play, because it is in near constant use...not so much for Explore.

I find myself reaching for my Go controller much more often. it always works, and it works immediately. I wish it was less bulky....but I can hang it from the handle bars and it still doesn't obstruct my ride, it is also easily accessible.

Another thing (off topic) is that the program will reset itself, even if I've only stepped away for a couple of minutes. The other day...I was approaching 10k Spins...and had to step away to relay a message to my wife. When I put the headset back on just a minute or two later...it reset to zero spins...zero minutes...and it encouraged me to beat my last workout of 1986 spins!

Fortunately... my Fitbit helps keep track of my actual workout time...but I find it a bit annoying that I have to depend on backup timekeeping devices.
As mentioned, with a battery replacement you will most likely need to repair the controller. For some reason even if it shows on the headset as paired it will often not be. I usually recommend going into the oculus app and pairing it from scratch. Also, make sure the controller is lighting up, otherwise the battery may be in backwards.

Shon your noticing the sleep behavior in the controller, it is for sure more of an issue in Explorer where it can fully go to sleep. The first button press will wake it up and the second will normally register as input. This is to conserve battery life, but I know it can be annoying.
(03-19-2020, 11:19 PM)Snowpelt Wrote: As mentioned, with a battery replacement you will most likely need to repair the controller. For some reason even if it shows on the headset as paired it will often not be.  I usually recommend going into the oculus app and pairing it from scratch. Also, make sure the controller is lighting up, otherwise the battery may be in backwards.

Shon your noticing the sleep behavior in the controller, it is for sure more of an issue in Explorer where it can fully go to sleep. The first button press will wake it up and the second will normally register as input.  This is to conserve battery life, but I know it can be annoying.

Yup... Pretty much what I guessed in the comments above. Today I completed my explore ride without using the controller. Just used the go controller instead.
To be specific the controller button is tuned to sleep at 3 minutes. That's fine for most games in Play, but unless you like ringing the bell that often in Explorer, it means you'll have to hit it once to wake at the end of a ride. Ideally a keypress would be sent after waking, which the button won't do itself but I might be able hack on reconnection.
(03-20-2020, 03:30 AM)emalafeew Wrote: To be specific the controller button is tuned to sleep at 3 minutes.  That's fine for most games in Play, but unless you like ringing the bell that often in Explorer, it means you'll have to hit it once to wake at the end of a ride.  Ideally a keypress would be sent after waking, which the button won't do itself but I might be able hack on reconnection.

It is what it is.  Often times the controller does not respond after the first, second, or even third press. Sometimes I have to hit the center "on" button and press "A" several times until the controller decides to reconnect. I suspect that since I am doing this blindly...I might not always be hitting the right button..for example...I will sometimes find I am hitting the volume control instead. 

I am currently in the middle of a 495 mile ride. I have been mapping my journey...so periodically, I need to go to the menu in order to write down the GPS coordinates for mapping purposes, especially when turning or navigating through a particularly complex intersection. 

My ride started in a densely populated city, then to less populated areas, out to a mountainous area, and back to a city again...etc. I periodically go to the menu in order to switch between Country, City, and Comfort mode.  Occasionally, On a two or three hour ride, I will get a phone call from my wife, etc. that I have to take (Try sending your significant other to VM and tell me how that goes, LOL), which means again...pausing the ride. I'm not doing this every 3 minutes.... but it could be multiple times over the course of a ride. 

I imagine my personal use case is not typical.
We happen to be testing other bluetooth media buttons now, and whether they provide instant response after long periods is one of the factors we're looking at. Will provide a report when we have it, may help your use case. We technically work with any bluetooth media button, if you turn it so that "previous track" is our A button.