Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I rode to the top of Mount Fuji!
On my VR Bike Tour of Japan, I have been riding to tourist spots along the way. One of the locations on by bucket list was the top of Mount Fuji. I had scouted it out before, and I knew the hiking routes up Mount Fuji had Google street view along the way.

Now, I know VIRZoom was not designed for hiking trails, but I decided to try it anyway just to see how it worked. I imagine folks following other trails will experience similar issues.

I had a beautiful ride up to the foot of Mount Fuji. Once I hit the parking area where the trailhead starts, I was unable to go from the road to the trail-head.

I created a new ride just a few feet up the trailhead and VIRZoom transported me to the trailhead. The ride was CRAZY FAST. Even pedaling at the slowest speed, I got to the top of Mount Fuji at lightning speed. I wasn't able to follow the "dots" but fortunately there were many ropes and arrows showing the route, which made the switchbacks much easier to navigate. Sharp turns slowed me down, but even looking in the right direction would advance my progress much more quickly than I expected. Ice, boulders, logs, stairs, etc were no problem to navigate on this Virtual ride, LOL. 

The views at the top of the mountain were incredible! There were many scenic spots to enjoy and some commanding views of Japan from the top. 

Getting down the mountain proved to be too much of a challenge. the software had no problem navigating in the "up" direction...I even circled the crater at the top of mount Fuji.  For some reason though...when I tried to go down the mountain, the bike thought I was trying to drive off a cliff and refused to plot the course. I made several attempts to plot new rides down the mountain...but I just couldn't get the software to work right. I knew going into it that the software wasn't designed for this kind of "Ride". This was no big deal as I switched to my Oculus Rift, and Google maps, and did the remainder of the ride that way.

Eventually, once I got to the parking on the other side of the mountain...I plotted an new course... 90 miles to Tokyo. 

If anyone wants to try this crazy ride, you can create it by using the following GPS Coordinates: 35.336801, 138.733982

I would advise you to only try this ride on comfort mode...and don't expect much...like I said VIRZOOM wasn't formatted for this type of experience.
Awesome! Amazed you got this to work at all. I am guessing it was skipping between the images available from the trail ride that had the data we needed which is why it seemed to be going so fast.

Good luck on your ride to tokyo!
(03-12-2020, 02:49 AM)Snowpelt Wrote: Awesome!  Amazed you got this to work at all. I am guessing it was skipping between the images available from the trail ride that had the data we needed which is why it seemed to be going so fast.

Good luck on your ride to tokyo!

Yeah...I was surprised it worked at all, I was not expecting it to.