Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Oculus hand controllers
I *always* have to have my Go controller when I start it -- I have to press the Oculus button to orient the goggles. I have to do that before I can do anything else with them. Is there some way I can avoid this?
(03-14-2020, 09:04 PM)kemscm Wrote: I *always* have to have my Go controller when I start it -- I have to press the Oculus button to orient the goggles. I have to do that before I can do anything else with them. Is there some way I can avoid this?

The Oculus Go requires you to recenter with their hand controller each time you put it on.  But if you sign up for free as an Oculus dev and set "dev mode" in your Oculus phone app for your headset, you can get in by pressing a volume button on the headset.  There's no way to bypass it completely.
Oculus has announced they're letting hands-free apps on the Store on May 28.

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/hand-t...ng-may-28/
Hand tracking is live! Just in time for the holiday weekend!

And I can confirm that the latest builds still give the system warning that the touch controllers are required when you try to launch the apps with hand tracking.
(05-24-2020, 01:00 AM)jqnatividad Wrote: Hand tracking is live!  Just in time for the holiday weekend!

And I can confirm that the latest builds still give the system warning that the touch controllers are required when you try to launch the apps with hand tracking.

We heard the Oculus Store isn't accepting hands-only submissions from everyone until May 28.  Will make sure it works when we make our next releases.
I'm really looking forward to being able to launch Explorer without the controller so I thought I'd bump this thread since it's the 28th.

How about an incremental patch?
Not today but possibly soon!
Have you considered going one step further, and using one of the Oculus controllers as a pedaling sensor? Obviously it's too big to strap to the bike crank, but maybe it could be strapped to the user's thigh.

While this will probably be very uncomfortable, it may at least be a way to let people try out the concept before buying any Bluetooth sensor. And possibly a way to get the app on the Oculus store?
(06-05-2020, 05:10 PM)Yakinabe Wrote: Have you considered going one step further, and using one of the Oculus controllers as a pedaling sensor? Obviously it's too big to strap to the bike crank, but maybe it could be strapped to the user's thigh.

While this will probably be very uncomfortable, it may at least be a way to let people try out the concept before buying any Bluetooth sensor. And possibly a way to get the app on the Oculus store?

That's a really good idea. It'd be easy enough to calibrate before each session. Just place your pedal in the Up position for X seconds, and then in the Down position for X seconds, and then the software should easily be able to calculate cadence by the cursor moving between those points.
Since VzFit seems to be focusing on software as their source of income instead of hardware, it makes sense to make it as easy as possible to get started. Maybe even a run mode where you can strap one controller to each leg...
(07-22-2020, 07:49 PM)KaylaKaze Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 05:10 PM)Yakinabe Wrote: Have you considered going one step further, and using one of the Oculus controllers as a pedaling sensor? Obviously it's too big to strap to the bike crank, but maybe it could be strapped to the user's thigh.

That's a really good idea. It'd be easy enough to calibrate before each session. Just place your pedal in the Up position for X seconds, and then in the Down position for X seconds, and then the software should easily be able to calculate cadence by the cursor moving between those points.
Since VzFit seems to be focusing on software as their source of income instead of hardware, it makes sense to make it as easy as possible to get started. Maybe even a run mode where you can strap one controller to each leg...

It's funny you should mention this now, we're looking into exactly that, so that anyone could try out the software before connecting a fitness device, even without a bike.  There are a few details to work through, but we still want to give you exercise i.e. not just hold a button to go. 

One problem with strapping controller to pedal is the hand controllers must be within forward view of the headset, which would generally not be the case then. You would still get their orientation data out of view, but that wouldn’t work attached to a pedal that doesn’t rotate with respect to the world