Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Oculus hand controllers
(07-22-2020, 11:09 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 07:49 PM)KaylaKaze Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 05:10 PM)Yakinabe Wrote: Have you considered going one step further, and using one of the Oculus controllers as a pedaling sensor? Obviously it's too big to strap to the bike crank, but maybe it could be strapped to the user's thigh.

While this will probably be very uncomfortable, it may at least be a way to let people try out the concept before buying any Bluetooth sensor. And possibly a way to get the app on the Oculus store?

That's a really good idea. It'd be easy enough to calibrate before each session. Just place your pedal in the Up position for X seconds, and then in the Down position for X seconds, and then the software should easily be able to calculate cadence by the cursor moving between those points.
Since VzFit seems to be focusing on software as their source of income instead of hardware, it makes sense to make it as easy as possible to get started. Maybe even a run mode where you can strap one controller to each leg...

It's funny you should mention this now, we're looking into exactly that, so that anyone could try out the software before connecting a fitness device, even without a bike.  There are a few details to work through, but we still want to give you exercise i.e. not just hold a button to go. 

One problem with strapping controller to pedal is the hand controllers must be within forward view of the headset, which would generally not be the case then.  You would still get their orientation data out of view, but that wouldn’t work attached to a pedal that doesn’t rotate with respect to the world

I was thinking more that you'd strap them to your thighs, right above your knee. The bottom cameras of the Quest should be able to pick them up in that case, I think.
(07-23-2020, 05:54 PM)KaylaKaze Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 11:09 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 07:49 PM)KaylaKaze Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 05:10 PM)Yakinabe Wrote: Have you considered going one step further, and using one of the Oculus controllers as a pedaling sensor? Obviously it's too big to strap to the bike crank, but maybe it could be strapped to the user's thigh.

While this will probably be very uncomfortable, it may at least be a way to let people try out the concept before buying any Bluetooth sensor. And possibly a way to get the app on the Oculus store?

That's a really good idea. It'd be easy enough to calibrate before each session. Just place your pedal in the Up position for X seconds, and then in the Down position for X seconds, and then the software should easily be able to calculate cadence by the cursor moving between those points.
Since VzFit seems to be focusing on software as their source of income instead of hardware, it makes sense to make it as easy as possible to get started. Maybe even a run mode where you can strap one controller to each leg...

It's funny you should mention this now, we're looking into exactly that, so that anyone could try out the software before connecting a fitness device, even without a bike.  There are a few details to work through, but we still want to give you exercise i.e. not just hold a button to go. 

One problem with strapping controller to pedal is the hand controllers must be within forward view of the headset, which would generally not be the case then.  You would still get their orientation data out of view, but that wouldn’t work attached to a pedal that doesn’t rotate with respect to the world

I was thinking more that you'd strap them to your thighs, right above your knee. The bottom cameras of the Quest should be able to pick them up in that case, I think.

It's worth a shot, though we're trying to go further and give people a demo even without a bike.  Maybe we can do both.