Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head tracking not working on Quest
We just got another report of this happening.

It seems the Oculus SDK is telling our games it's being recentered every frame, as if you held down the Oculus home button for 2 sec. We have our own recentering logic that happens after Oculus, but only pay attention to theirs after our initial setup, which is why left/right seem to work before then.

Why it's doing this now, in rare cases such as yours, is a mystery. It may be related to an Oculus firmware upgrade, and could be helped by upgrading to the latest Oculus SDK, which we'll do for next builds.
I’ve been having serious problems with head tracking on my Quest since just before Christmas. My problems definitely were at the Oculus level, because I’d lose tracking in the home environment and other apps, not just Explorer. It just hit all of a sudden, and mine was a release-day unit that had worked fine until then.

I tried factory resets - several of them - to no avail. I contacted Oculus support, and they exchanged the unit for me. The replacement unit worked for about an hour before starting to exhibit the same problems. Now, however, after a factory reset, I could no longer find/pair my controllers. Another session with support resulted in another replacement which I’m waiting on.

Oculus support has been great, even though it’s been frustrating to not have a working unit for almost a month. Fingers crossed that the third one’s the charm.

I have to wonder if any recent Oculus software updates have caused some wonkiness in tracking that affects certain units or under certain conditions. I’d been using it in the same room under the same lighting for six months, so who knows.
Just a quick update - the second replacement Oculus Quest is mentioned that I was waiting for has been working well for me - no more tracking issues.

I have read reports of others having issues where tracking drops out momentarily quite often under v13 of the Oculus OS, though. Knock wood, this isn’t an issue for me any more.

Note that none of the tracking issues I'm talking about are specific to the VZfit apps.
That's great news. We noticed more dropouts after their firmware that introduced hand-tracking, but it seems to have gotten better.

As for the issue affecting our apps, I put in a local workaround for both apps when the Oculus SDK tells us to constantly recenter. We haven't heard any new reports since then, but are also updating to the latest Oculus SDK for safety sake (and also to support hands-only app launching when that becomes open to public!)