Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Explorer 2D for phones and tablets
We've heard a number of requests for Explorer running on your phone or tablet, for when your VR headset isn't handy.  

Our focus is VR exercise, but agreed that could be a cool benefit to Premium members.  We have made a build that works now on Android OS 7 or greater devices, and would appreciate if Android owners would try it and give us feedback.  Smile

https://drive.google.com/open?id=117sUnc...Y9XC6XVY2k
  1. Click the link above to install, and allow "unknown sources" since this isn't on the Play store yet.  
  2. Make sure you have bluetooth and location services enabled to connect with VZ Sensor.
  3. Do not pair your VZ Button!  Touch the screen to select things like a normal app.  You can also drag the screen to look different directions, and tap it to recenter.
  4. Everything should work as expected, except steering is automatic so you cannot make open-ended rides.
If people like it then we'll announce as an official benefit, get it on the Play store and also make an iOS version.
May be helpful if it prompted you to turn bluetooth on when launching the app Smile
On the list for next build!

Also planning to add an exit button. For now you must quit the app from Android process list.

Incidentally we're using this mount for stationary bikes in our office

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCJ83S7
I've updated the 2D build to have our workaround for "missing dots", as with the VR build.

To get it you'll need to redownload and install from the original build link. It should reinstall fine over the old one, but if it doesn't then uninstall the old one first.
I've also updated it with the search fix that was related to the missing dots.
Installed ... Will check it out over the weekend ... I like the idea that I should be able to cast this to my TV screen and it would be a super workaround for my daughter who only has a PSVR if she could use this at home.

Will the games be coming too?
Personally I won't miss them because I'm a solo rider, but I can see why some riders will enjoy them.

Also, will multi-riders be available?
I like the thought that my daughter and I might be able to "cycle" together.

This wee app on phones will be a great way to show others what I'm talking about if you enable a non bike connected demo for them to see even if it's just one of my own local rides, it should suffice as a demonstration.

Just had an afterthought ... Can the sensor connect to two devices at the same time?

For instance, if I'm on my Quest could my mobile also cast what I'm doing to my TV?

I ask because the Quest isn't great at casting to an Amazon TV Firestick.
Hi Auld,
We had a lot of the same thoughts when making this 2D build. Like, it would be good for demonstration to others, and your family members could use it without VR.

Multiplayer riding works fine with it, but your daughter would need her own sensor and membership in that case.

We aren’t planning to bring the Play games to 2D, because they require steering and aiming with your head lean and look direction. Explorer works in 2D because it can be autosteered. You can look around by dragging on the screen but that would be awkward with separate button for shooting.

It should cast to your TV with Amazon fire stick, because that uses a different protocol (miracast) than the Quest which only supports chromecast. But the sensor cannot connect to two devices at once, so it’s not a workaround for Quest casting. Technically you could cast from Quest to your phone, and then miracast that to your TV, but we would expect that to be very choppy and unstable due to the double cast.

Please let us know what you think after trying it!
In all honesty, most of my thoughts above were just that, thoughts that popped into my head.

I didn't really expect the sensor to be able to connect to two different devices and I have less interest in the games than Explorer, at the moment at least.

Yes, I understood that if we wanted to pair up for a ride my daughter would need her own devices but this is FAR more viable than her ever getting a Quest and I'm not very hopeful for it to roll-out to PSVR because of it's priceless flexibility to be used on any stationary bike ... Sony's loss, not ours imho.

Personally, I suspect the most difficult task you face is convincing people that this simple device can take a boring, dull exercise method and elevate it to such super levels of fuuuun.

I'm currently aching all over after my 30 minute session at 7am this morning then being busy for the next 5 or 6 hours helping my nephew ... I'm gonna miss getting back on my bike this evening.
(01-17-2020, 06:14 PM)Auld_Pharrrt Wrote: Personally, I suspect the most difficult task you face is convincing people that this simple device can take a boring, dull exercise method and elevate it to such super levels of fuuuun.

Well said! Satisfied customers are our best advertisement Smile
I've updated the build with a critical fix. On phones/tablets it was running out of memory after several minutes, depending on how much memory you have.

To get it you'll need to redownload and install from the original build link. It should reinstall fine over the old one, but if it doesn't then uninstall the old one first.