Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can you display games on regular ( non vr) screen
Well I got a bike and sensor and have a go and a quest ( I teach VR) -- and love the games BUT I get very nauseous even playing any game for more than 2 minutes and it takes hours to get better. It is not all a bust in that my older son loves it and he can use it. But I was wondering  ( while I keep trying to build up my sickness issues) can I play the games where they are displayed on a regular screen ( like an android tablet or a Windows Surface on my bike holder). I can ever put the quest on top of my head and hold the controllers. Is there a way to set that up?

I am a computer geek so can setup what ever is needed. 

-steve
We may have something for your Android tablet!

Generally our games require VR head input for steering and aiming. But we’ve made a 2D screen version of Explorer that relies on autosteering and touch menus. I haven’t updated it with recent changes but will do so today and post the download link here.

Also we have some suggestions for VR comfort. It may help to know that our motion method involves both your steering (which is via head “tilt” on the Go, since it doesn’t have position tracking like the Quest) and direction you are looking. If you just look around with your head upright you won’t turn. If you just tilt your head while looking forward you “change lanes” rather than actually rotate. If you tilt your head AND look in that direction will you actually turn around a curve and end up facing a new direction. We do this to keep your ears and eyes in sync, and try to encourage it with your avatars steering behavior.

If knowing that doesn’t help, then in Explorer you can use comfort mode which eliminates all motion, and acts like a 360 slide show you control.

If you can stand some motion, try a third person view which generates less apparent motion relative to the ground, and is closer to the street view camera height so has less distortion. Also try city mode which flattens out hills and draws virtual roads and building geometry that don’t move with image transitions. Finally try the monoscopic option if depth artifacts are what bother you the most.

VZfit also works great with a fan blowing on you, not only to keep cool but the textile sensation of wind on your skin can help with VR comfort and immersion.
We may have something for your Android tablet!

Generally our games require VR head input for steering and aiming. But we’ve made a 2D screen version of Explorer that relies on autosteering and touch menus. I haven’t updated it with recent changes but will do so today and post the download link here.

Also we have some suggestions for VR comfort. It may help to know that our motion method involves both your steering (which is via head “tilt” on the Go, since it doesn’t have position tracking like the Quest) and direction you are looking. If you just look around you with your head upright you won’t turn. If you just tilt your head while looking forward you “change lanes” rather than actually rotate. Only if you tilt your head and look in that direction will you actually turn around a curve and end up facing a new direction. We do this to keep your ears and eyes in sync, and try to encourage it with your avatars steering behavior.

If knowing that doesn’t help, then in explorer you can use comfort mode which eliminates all motion, and acts like a 360 slide show you control.

If you can stand some motion, try a third person view which generates less apparent motion relative to the ground, and is closer to the street view camera height so has less distortion. Also try city mode which flattens out hills and draws virtual roads and building geometry that don’t move with image transitions. Finally try the monoscopic option if depth artifacts are what bother you the most.

Lastly VZfit works great with a fan blowing on you, not only to keep cool but the textile sensation of wind on your skin backs up your sense of motion.
Here's the link to our 2D Explorer app for Android! Note it requires Android 7 or higher, and chugs on devices less powerful than a Google Pixel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/117sUncK...sp=sharing

If you have Sidequest or know how to use ADB, you can even put this on your headset and play it in the Oculus TV app.
Thanks for the explorer screen based update. for vzplay - I have tried putting the go controller on my head (above my eyes) and then screen cast to a device so I think can look at a screen in front of me - it works - but the navigation is tricky since I have to turn with my head away from the display to turn left/right. is there a way to control left / right navigation with the go controller. ( or quest controller).
Hi, I have just got myself a stationary bike and would love to use it with VZ Fit Explorer but I don't have an Oculus Quest or Go and don't want to buy one just for this as I already own a HTC Vive. Anyway, I saw this thread and thought this might be perfect as an alternative but is there any way to load the app onto Windows so I can view it on my desktop monitor? I know there is an Android emulator program called Bluestacks but I tried loading the APK file into that and it doesn't install.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the latest Android OS on so I suppose I could try to hook that up to my PC to mirror the display but ideally if I could just load the Explorer app into Windows that would be amazing.
(07-18-2020, 02:22 AM)sdipaola Wrote: Thanks for the explorer screen based update. for vzplay - I have tried putting  the go controller on my head (above my eyes) and then screen cast to a device so I think can look at a screen in front of me - it works -  but the navigation is tricky since I have to turn with my head away from the display to turn left/right. is there a way to control left / right navigation with the go controller. ( or quest controller).

Sorry there isn't a way to do that.  Note we use both your head tilt and head direction to support both lane-changing and going-around-curve motions comfortably, and gameplay where you can look in a different drection than you are moving.  So our Play games just haven't been designed to work with a single turning input.
(08-01-2020, 02:13 PM)AfxTwn Wrote: Hi, I have just got myself a stationary bike and would love to use it with VZ Fit Explorer but I don't have an Oculus Quest or Go and don't want to buy one just for this as I already own a HTC Vive. Anyway, I saw this thread and thought this might be perfect as an alternative but is there any way to load the app onto Windows so I can view it on my desktop monitor? I know there is an Android emulator program called Bluestacks but I tried loading the APK file into that and it doesn't install.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with the latest Android OS on so I suppose I could try to hook that up to my PC to mirror the display but ideally if I could just load the Explorer app into Windows that would be amazing.

We only have the 2D app on Android for now.  Perhaps you could use your Android with a Chromecast?
(08-03-2020, 02:13 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 02:13 PM)AfxTwn Wrote: Hi, I have just got myself a stationary bike and would love to use it with VZ Fit Explorer but I don't have an Oculus Quest or Go and don't want to buy one just for this as I already own a HTC Vive. Anyway, I saw this thread and thought this might be perfect as an alternative but is there any way to load the app onto Windows so I can view it on my desktop monitor? I know there is an Android emulator program called Bluestacks but I tried loading the APK file into that and it doesn't install.

We only have the 2D app on Android for now.  Perhaps you could use your Android with a Chromecast?

Thanks very much for the reply. I can use Samsung's Side Sync app on my phone and PC to mirror my phone's display to my PC (I have my bike in the spare room with my computer) so that has solved the issue of being able to see VZ Fit on a bigger screen. I have a York Fitness Active 110 exercise bike and am going to buy a bluetooth sensor like the CooSpo but I have seen in the forum that some other users have had problems with the sensors due to their bikes magnetic resistance so I'm wondering if one of the other sensors might be better?

Also, do I need to buy a bluetooth media button or do I just use my phone's touch screen to control the app? I'm really looking forward to trying out explorer.
You use the phone's touch screen to control the app. No media button necessary since there's no gaze selection with 2D ;->