Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Oculus hand controllers
We created the VZ Button to perform actions easily while holding on to your stationary bike.  

But people who really don't like to put down their Oculus hand controller after launching our game have asked if we could also support them. To which we say "Why not?"

As of today's Play update you emulate our A button with A/X/Trigger, and our B button with B/Y/Back, on the Go or Quest hand controllers. The same will be true in the next Explorer update.
Similarly, Oculus v13 makes using JUST YOUR HANDS to press buttons, make selections, and more possible. So I thought I could get on my bike SANS controller. Then using only my hands, I launched VZFit!! Moving right along, I thought now all I need are my VZ-controller on the handlebars. NOPE. A message popped up saying I need the Oculus controller... JUST to click "Continue", and then I didn't need it any more.

Please support just using your hands ONLY, at least for launching the VZFit app. Thank you!
That _should_ have worked as you expected. Our games don't require the Oculus hand controllers at all, if you have the VZ thumb controller.

Did the popup message look like it came from Oculus, and could you take a screenshot and send us? We'll also try it here.
For what it's worth, I got the same message just now.  I was in Explorer and clicked 'Launch VZfit Play" from within the context menus.  My controllers had been set down in the meantime as I was riding in Explorer for awhile.

When I switched over to Play, I guess the controllers had disconnected/timed out because I got a message that said  OCULUS CONTROLLERS REQUIRED.

Then below that it said something like "Connect your Oculus controller to Continue, or use your hand to select Cancel."

I didn't get a screenshot but if I see it again I can try to do so, but I had to pick up the controller, wave it around so it was recognized, and then click Continue with the trigger.

If it matters, I'm using an original Virzoom bike, not a thumb controller.
(02-11-2020, 10:55 PM)emalafeew Wrote: That _should_ have worked as you expected.  Our games don't require the Oculus hand controllers at all, if you have the VZ thumb controller.

Did the popup message look like it came from Oculus, and could you take a screenshot and send us?  We'll also try it here.

Ok we see it, and it comes from Oculus.  Apps must need special configuration to avoid this requirement, we'll look into how!
Okay we see the setting now in the latest Oculus SDK. Just in time for the upcoming Explorer build, and we'll then get into Play as well.
(02-12-2020, 12:32 AM)emalafeew Wrote: Okay we see the setting now in the latest Oculus SDK.  Just in time for the upcoming Explorer build, and we'll then get it in to Play as well.

Outstanding support!!  Thank you!
We just realized, when trying to upload new build to the store, that hand control is currently in a "developer preview state" and not being allowed by any store submissions yet.

No 3rd party apps support it yet because of that. As soon as they allow it we'll have new builds up.
This would be truly awesome, to not have to pick up an Oculus controller at all to launch the VZfit apps or exit back to Oculus home when finished. Just minimal support of hand tracking (when Oculus permits it) feels like a big win for usability!
Btw until then (which is hopefully soon) we've added the ability to exit both Explorer and Play from their menus, which at least helps going back to Oculus home.