Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head tracking not working on Quest
I just got mine set up yesterday and it worked great. My first session this morning worked fine, but on my latest try it doesn't track my head anymore. As I turn my head the screen turns with it, so that the dot selector is always in the middle of the screen. I rebooted my headset (Quest) in case that was the issue, but it still behaves this way in both Explorer and Play. Any ideas?
Sounds like an Oculus-level problem. Are you seeing the same thing in the Oculus dashboard or other Oculus games?

You might try turning up the lights in your room to improve the tracking. Mirrors and bright windows can also potentially confuse it.
(01-10-2020, 05:23 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Sounds like an Oculus-level problem. Are you seeing the same thing in the Oculus dashboard or other Oculus games?

You might try turning up the lights in your room to improve the tracking. Mirrors and bright windows can also potentially confuse it.

Everything else in the Quest is working fine. I also tried reorienting my bike so it was facing a plain wall in room where I play Oculus a lot, and still the same symptoms. Any other ideas?

(01-10-2020, 05:23 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Sounds like an Oculus-level problem. Are you seeing the same thing in the Oculus dashboard or other Oculus games?

More observations - when I'm in one of the vz apps and the screen is locked to where I look, if I hit the oculus button to get back to home with the game paused, the home screen behaves fine. I also just uninstalled the apps and reinstalled them, but no luck.
Very strange. Are you able to get past the bike connection and recentering screen, which then fades to the 3D worlds you should be able to look around?
(01-11-2020, 12:52 AM)emalafeew Wrote: Very strange. Are you able to get past the bike connection and recentering screen, which then fades to the 3D worlds you should be able to look around?

Yes - but I can't select any options because wherever I look the screen follows instead of allowing me to look around. I should add that this behavior is only horizontal - I can look vertically fine, but if I shift my head left to right the screen goes with it.
(01-11-2020, 12:52 AM)emalafeew Wrote: Very strange. Are you able to get past the bike connection and recentering screen, which then fades to the 3D worlds you should be able to look around?

Here is a video I recorded of the problem: https://youtu.be/vgXLHg6zN2o
Thanks for the videos. Never seen anything like it, and nothing should be affecting both apps after they once worked.

I can see you have the ability to look left/right until you select the RECENTER button, but from then on it left/right seems to be locked. Can you try with both Oculus roomscale and stationary navigation settings, and also try disabling head tracking in Oculus settings, to see if any of those make a difference?

We can also make a special diagnostic build if you'd be willing to run that to provide more information about what could be affecting the camera.
(01-11-2020, 07:33 PM)emalafeew Wrote: Thanks for the videos.  Never seen anything like it, and nothing should be affecting both apps after they once worked.  

I can see you have the ability to look left/right until you select the RECENTER button, but from then on it left/right seems to be locked.  Can you try with both Oculus roomscale and stationary navigation settings, and also try disabling head tracking in Oculus settings, to see if any of those make a difference?

We can also make a special diagnostic build if you'd be willing to run that to provide more information about what could be affecting the camera.

Switching to stationary seems to have corrected the problem - thanks! I'll post back if for some reason the problem reoccurs. Smile

Kent
(01-11-2020, 08:18 PM)TwinFeats Wrote: Switching to stationary seems to have corrected the problem - thanks! I'll post back if for some reason the problem reoccurs. Smile

Kent

Thanks, we'll look out for any other reports like that. It would be interesting to know if you can now go back to roomscale, to see if stationary reset something or continues to be necessary.
(01-12-2020, 06:35 PM)emalafeew Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 08:18 PM)TwinFeats Wrote: Switching to stationary seems to have corrected the problem - thanks! I'll post back if for some reason the problem reoccurs. Smile

Kent

Thanks, we'll look out for any other reports like that.  It would be interesting to know if you can now go back to roomscale, to see if stationary reset something or continues to be necessary.

I just tested roomscale again and you are correct, switching to stationary reset something because it now functions properly in roomscale. Thanks!